We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we visit Munich?

Birmingham
6 posts
Save Topic
Should we visit Munich?

Me and a friend are interrailing around Europe. We are currently in Vienna and know we want to also visit Krakow and Berlin. We have a couple extra days and are not sure how to spend them. The choice is between Prague or more of Germany... We were thinking Munich because of it's proximity to Austria but we are not sure. Anyone any recommendations? We are 23 and 24 year old girls. We enjoy sightseeing, particularly historical sights but we also want somewhere fun to go out.

We are slightly worried Prague may just be stag-do-central.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
160 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we visit Munich?

It looks like you have already made up your mind that you don't want to visit Prague and want to visit Munich. I would say have a look at attractions of both cities and see what you prefer.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,376 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we visit Munich?

Well is there anything in Munich that interests you?

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
36 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we visit Munich?

On our recent trip, I heard quite a few younger people (in their 20s) mention that they had a lot of fun in Berlin. I have not been there so can't say first hand. Munich can be a nice combination of historical sights and other activities.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
261 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we visit Munich?

We're going to Ljublijana, Slovenia and it appears to be a pretty simple and fairly train ride from Vienna. Looks like a fun ciity and easy to maneuver with some history, as well. And, there are some recent posts in the forum about clubs.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,376 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we visit Munich?

" heard quite a few younger people (in their 20s) mention that they had a lot of fun in Berlin"

Yep and plenty to do.

"Munich can be a nice combination of historical sights and other activities."

Yep great city, wish I had more time there.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,576 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we visit Munich?

I fully enjoyed both Munich and Prague. I've been to Munich a few times and Prague only once, but I would definitely return there.

In Prague, we did see a lot of stag parties (for the record, I think that "stag-do" is a really funny term and it makes me smile whenever i read it), but it didn't seem to be out of hand or anything. But we are a good 10 years older than you, so it could be that we just didn't intersect with the "stag-do" scene quite as much as people in their 20s would.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,376 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we visit Munich?

"I fully enjoyed both Munich and Prague. I've been to Munich a few times and Prague only once, but I would definitely return there"

How would you suggest to stay in Munich vs how long would you suggest to stay in Prague? Are both relatively bigger or are they the same size?

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,576 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we visit Munich?

How much time do you have? :-) In general, any major city deserves at least 3 days.

Malvern...
Level Contributor
80 posts
665 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we visit Munich?

Absolutely! Munich is arguably the best city in Europe! Of course, Prague is a serious contender :)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,376 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we visit Munich?

"How much time do you have? :-) In general, any major city deserves at least 3 days"

True, depends on how much time you have overall. I think some cities are major cities and then others are mega cities. Berlin, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul seem to be Mega cities, while Munich, Amsterdam, Dublin seem to be more compact cities with things to do.