We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A recommended itinerary for a week at Munich

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Israel
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Topic
A recommended itinerary for a week at Munich

Hello

I'll be visiting Munich from the 12th-19th September, and wanted your help with planning my itinerary. My hotel is near the central train station. I don't really know where I'll want to go there so feel free to recommend any place/attraction in the city you deem going to.

Two things are important:

A. As I'm an amateur photographer, I'll be interested with places that are common with photographers visiting Munich.

B. I want to go to Neuschwanstein Castle on Sunday, as most of the city will be closed. How do I get there on public transport(as I won't be renting a car)?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Rotem

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A recommended itinerary for a week at Munich

If you post a list of the things you'd like to see people will be better able to help you work these into an itinerary - TA members are not travel agents so they don't actually plan your itinerary for you.

see the 'things to do' tab in the green bar at the top of the page and also www.munich.de for ideas. Make a wish list and post it here - that way people can help, otherwise they will be offering suggestions based on what they like and possibly missing ideas that YOU would like.

You could also consider taking a walking tour on your first day (access info on these from the things to do link) - this will give you an idea of what you might like to return to and explore in more detail.

For your visit to Neuschwanstein - see the dot point (about half way down) in the list of top Questions (to the right) or use the search box (directly above your post) - directions for visiting via public transport have been posted hundreds of times

Israel
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A recommended itinerary for a week at Munich

I guess I'de like to see castles(I've heard there are one or two in Munich?), historical places, places related to WW2, and, as I've said, places that attract photographers.

Also, are there any recommended small towns or villages around Munich where I can get by train for a one day trip(I mean get there and back to Munich on the same day)?

3. Re: A recommended itinerary for a week at Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 02:18
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A recommended itinerary for a week at Munich

Not a 'small town' but easily visited in a day trip is Salzburg - fantastic photo opportunities all over. Use the Bayern ticket on the train and get there & back for 24euro (then +4 euro for each additional person if you are not travelling alone)

Israel
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A recommended itinerary for a week at Munich

Anyone else?

Stockport England
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A recommended itinerary for a week at Munich

Third reich waliking tour, very interesting and sobering .

Bicycle tour around the city , gives a good perspective if the sites and a bit of knowledge .

Tours depart from outside the town hall, or I fir available at your hotel to pre book.

I'd do the bicycle your on the first day.

Day trip - get a bayern ticket, out to garmish, check out the gorge or the mountain views then stop off at Starnberg on return to munich , take in the sites and boat trip round the lake.

Visit several beer gardens, all different, all good, maybe dedicate a full day to this ? Starting in the viktualienmarkt for breakfast, walk to English gardens for two great gardens then public transport to park cafe, Augustinerkeller, hirschgarten and home feeling decidedly happy with the world !

http://www.munichbeergardens.com/Main_Page

Stockport England
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A recommended itinerary for a week at Munich

Garmish and Starnberg will give some great photo opportunities btw

Israel
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A recommended itinerary for a week at Munich

Are there any other WW2 places in Munich beside the beer hall(bunkers, towers, memorials etc)?

Israel
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A recommended itinerary for a week at Munich

BTW can I visit both Neuschwanstein and Linderhof castles at the same day? or it is too much?

Edited: 08 August 2014, 08:49
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A recommended itinerary for a week at Munich

re linderhof + Neuschwanstein in the same day, its only really possible by car or organised tour - but then you'll also be able to catch the very pretty town of Oberammagau.

Regarding the rest of the torrent of questions, theres 100s of ideas for stuff to do in munich and day trips on tripadvisor, with the main ones listed on the right of the page (at least on the normal web page version, not sure how th apps handle that) in the "Top questions about Munich"