We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I Spend Two Nights To Really See Neuschwanstein

Draper, Utah
Level Contributor
39 posts
442 reviews
Save Topic
Should I Spend Two Nights To Really See Neuschwanstein

I have four nights to be in and around Munich. Should I speand two of those nights in the Fussen/Schwangau area? I am currently leaning twoard that approach. I want to visit Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau and Linderhof with a rental car. Any thoughts?

Best Seller
Royal Castles of Neuschwanstein and...
4,003 reviews
from US$67.20*
Best Seller
Neuschwanstein Castle Small-Group Day...
1,727 reviews
from US$61.00*
Best Seller
Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial...
2,114 reviews
from US$34.90*
Small-Group Neuschwanstein and...
377 reviews
from US$173.10*
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I Spend Two Nights To Really See Neuschwanstein

If you include Linderhof (and possibly en route to Fuessen or on the way home) also include the Wieskirche, then it isworth the trip. My suggestion: Autobahnfrom Munich as far as Landsberg/Lech. Route B-17 south to Steingaden. Side trip (30km R/T) to the Wies. Return to B-17 to Fuessen. Plansee route to Linderhof, then Ettal,amd Autobahn to Munich, or Ettal, Oberammergau, Murnau and Autobahn to Munich.

Edited: 20 August 2014, 03:57
Draper, Utah
Level Contributor
39 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I Spend Two Nights To Really See Neuschwanstein

Where would you spend the two nights--location and possibly hotels?

Thanks!

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I Spend Two Nights To Really See Neuschwanstein

1st night somewehre near Fuessen. Can't help you with hotel. I'm usually staying with classmates in area. Second night in Garmisch or Mittenwald. Stayed at Hotel Post, in the new wing. Fine, but failed to make dinnerr eservation there. Be sure to make it. Food is very good there.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I Spend Two Nights To Really See Neuschwanstein

Hi,

We stayed twice at the Hotel zum Hechten in Fuessen. Fuessen is less than 10 min. from Neuschwanstein. With a car, if it's a nice day or morning, head over to Ehrwald, Austria for the Zugspitze cable car, maybe 40 min. away.

www.hotel-hechten.com

www.zugspitze.at

Closer is the Tegelberg cable car plus the Tegelberg luge ride about a mile from Neuschwanstein.

I also agree with visiting Linderhof and the Wieskirche. Linderhof's interior is amazing. So is the Wieskirche's.

Paul

Edited: 21 August 2014, 01:10
Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I Spend Two Nights To Really See Neuschwanstein

We've stayed at the zum Hechten in Fuessen and also at the Weiher Guesthouse in Fuessen. Both were fine. The Weiher is not fancy, but has an amazing balcony with views of Neuschwanstein. Sitting on the balcony at night, admiring the floodlit palace and listening to the cowbells, was magical.

Draper, Utah
Level Contributor
39 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I Spend Two Nights To Really See Neuschwanstein

Great tips! Does anyone have an experience with staying in Schwangau?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I Spend Two Nights To Really See Neuschwanstein

After being majorly disappointed with Neuschwanstein, in that it is way too touristy and a far poorer quality in size and length of tours, and compared with many other German castles, I would not recommend staying 2 nights just for the castle. Have you heard of Hohenzollern Castle? It is still owned by the family, is much lesser known and is an absolutely magnificent castle to visit. Neuschwanstein is still worth visiting given the stunning region and the sheer fame of the castle, but there are dozens of castles out there without the massive tourist line ups, and expensive entrance fees. If you are in Germany for more than 2 weeks, consider purchasing a "Schlosskarte" which is massively reduced entrance fees to most major castles, monasteries and gardens/parks in the whole province of Baden-Württemberg. On this card you can enter well known castles like Ludwigsburg, Heidelberg, Mannheim, Karlsruhe, Maulbronn Monastery and tons more for the price of maybe two regular visits. Have a great trip, and enjoy the gorgeous surroundings in the Alps!! :)

http://hiddeningermany.blogspot.ca/

Draper, Utah
Level Contributor
39 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I Spend Two Nights To Really See Neuschwanstein

I wish I had much more time!! You are so right about all there is to see. I would love to see Hohenzollern Castle, but it seems a bit far for me. I have just four nights in the Munich area. The Schwangau area is close for two days in Bavaria.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I Spend Two Nights To Really See Neuschwanstein

The entire Munich area is soooo lovely! Yes Schwangau is close enough for a day trip and the drive there is absolutely stunning...it's world famous :) I know you didn't ask about food, but I just can't help recommending that you try Vapiano's in Munich. Its super fresh pizza and pasta in a cafeteria style, very popular restaurant, and a fairly quick meal for the tourist trying to pack in a full day. Also very friendly to the english speaking! Enjoy!

http://hiddeningermany.blogspot.ca/

Draper, Utah
Level Contributor
39 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I Spend Two Nights To Really See Neuschwanstein

Great advise. Thanks so much.