We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local cuisine that won't break the bank

Which Nuremberg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lawndale, California
Level Contributor
665 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Local cuisine that won't break the bank

My partner and I will be in Nuremburg in early December, and we want to sample as much of the regional German foods as possible. Many of our guidebooks list restaurants that would meet our needs, but too often they are enormously fancy and pricey. Can anyone recommend a more local place where we could sample the local cuisine but not have to dress to the nines and shell out big bucks? Thanks!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,197 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Local cuisine that won't break the bank

OK - now you know the prices of Munich.

Compared to Munich Nuremberg is cheap.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local cuisine that won't break the bank

One form of cuisine for which Nürnberg is famous is the Nürnberger Bratwurst. It is a longer, thinner Bratwurst. Luckily, it can be had on a Brotchen (Kaiser roll) with mustard from a stand on the street. The Bratwurst stand was formerly next to the Glühwein (hot spiced wine) stand in downtown Nürnberg. It was during the Christmas Markt time that we most enjoyed this combination. That is just when you will be there. Hopefully, it is still the bargain that it was.

Regards, Gary

Prittlbach, Germany
Level Contributor
574 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local cuisine that won't break the bank

My favourite to-go food in Nürnberg is 'Drei im Weckla' (three small sausages in a bun) available from several booths in the pedestrian zone. Certainly a regional food.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local cuisine that won't break the bank

If you like solid dishes, you can find local specialities in many restaurants in Nuremberg, e.g. in the "Alte Küch'n" and in the

"Heilig-Geist-Spital". What remains on the menu is at least "German" food in the broadest sense.

As regards one of the major franconian dishes, the "Schäufele", I have so far not noticed big differences in quality or preparation in any location where I tried one. All the same, local people use to recommend this and that restaurant for the best Schäufele around... but I seem to be impervious to the finer nuances in this:

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…Schaeufele_01.jpg

Try Google on the two restaurants I named above to get some more insight. And, by all means, get a Schäufele somwhere, once in your life.

Southport...
Level Contributor
6 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local cuisine that won't break the bank

We've just come back from a few excellent days in Nuremberg, prior to moving on to Bayreuth. We spent the whole visit in the Altstadt.

I can't advise about December, but when we visited there were many excellent restaurants, serving local specialties.

"Drei im Weckla" - basically three small Bratwurst in a bun, is available all over the place. Typically 1.6 Euros. Just a snack food, but you shouldn't visit Nurnberg without trying it. Try the Lebkuechen as well.

Avoid the Italian restaurants - they tend to be expensive. The Italian ice cream shops, on the other hand, are excellent.

We stayed in the Deutcher Kaiser hotel. Strongly recommended, and their sidewalk restaurant was excellent. It's probably not open in December, though.

The Goldenes Posthorn is good - try their speciality (can't remember the name, but it involves ox cheeks). They have a good selection of Franconian wines.

The restaurant Zum Albrect Durer Haus, just across the platz from Albrecht Durer's House (you could have guessed, right?) is also excellent, particularly for a Kaffee und Kuchen in mid afternoon.

Zum GuldernStern is also good. The oldest Wurst haus in the known universe, apparently.

There are many more - we had no disappointments in Nuremberg. Just look at the menu for local specialties (e.g. Schweineshaxe).

Nearly everyone speaks English, and everyone is polite and friendly.

And before you ask - just a tourist from Connecticut - no axe to grind.

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local cuisine that won't break the bank

I agree with Zum GuldernStern.."oldest wurst haus in the universe". A German friend took my LA son and I there and we thought it was great. If you are tall..duck you head...I think it has been there for several hundred years...can't find my postcard at the moment. Compared to LA prices you will think everything is a bargain. I go to Germany every year and even though our dollar keeps dropping I would much rather buy a dinner there than in Beverly Hills..haha. It will be cold so dress warm...its a great city to walk in...bring your ear muffs..you will have a great time.

7. Re: Local cuisine that won't break the bank

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 11:20