We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nuremburg to Rothenburg trains

Which Nuremberg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
228 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Nuremburg to Rothenburg trains

We are planning on taking the train from Nuremburg to Rothenburg on December 24. Do we need to buy train tickets and reservations now (from the US), or can we wait until Christmas week when we arrive in Munich. There are five of us. The same question applies for leaving Rothenburg for Frankfurt on December 26. If we need to make these arrangements now from the US, how should we proceed?

Our entire itinery is: Fly into Munich Saturday Dec. 20, visit Dachau Dec 21 (day trip), visit Regensburg Dec 22 (day trip), take the train to Nuremburg Dec 23 and spend the night, take the train to Rothenburg Dec 24 and spend two nights, then take the train from Rothenburg to Frankfurt Dec 26 where we spend the night before flight home on Dec 27. Thank you

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,607 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nuremburg to Rothenburg trains

For your trips inside Bavaria I would suggest to use local public transport tickets only. These tickets cover regional trains, S-Bahn, U-Bahn (metro), trams and buses. Not covered are far distance trains(IC/EC and ICE). The mini group versions are a great deal for 5 persons. You buy these tickets on spot from ticket machines. You cannot reserve seats on regional trains at all.

Munich Airport - Munich

MVV partner day ticket whole network.

EUR 18,00 for 2-5 persons.

Munich - Dachau - Munich

MVV partner day ticket Munich XXL.

EUR 11,80 for 2-5 persons.

Munich - Regensburg - Munich.

Bavaria Ticket.

EUR 27,00 for 2-5 persons.

Munich - Nuremberg

Bavaria Ticket.

Nuremberg - Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Bavaria Ticket.

Frankfurt - Frankfurt Airport

RMV mini group day ticket.

EUR 13,70 (less than 5 singles).

MVV day tickets are valid from validation (stamping) till 6am next day.

Bavaria Ticket is valid

Mo-Fr: from 9am till 3am next day

Sa,Su,holidays: from midnight till 3am next day

- - -

For Rothenburg to Frankfurt you may consider a normal ticket with seat reservations. You can book through the DB timetable.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Munich

To: KZ Dachau

To: Regensburg

To: Nuremberg

To: Rothenburg ob der Tauber

To: Frankfurt

To: FRA

For the trips you want to use MVV/RMV/Bavaria Ticket select as means of transport "only local transport".

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
228 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nuremburg to Rothenburg trains

This was an awesome response- I can't imagine how much research time (and money) you just saved us. Thank you so much.

Surrey
Level Contributor
186 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nuremburg to Rothenburg trains

Just seeing this posting can I ask how long the train journey takes to get to Rothenburg? We are visiting Nuremburg in the 1st week of December and we are thinking of taking the local train there one day ? Any idea of the price of a return train ticket? Thanks

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,710 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nuremburg to Rothenburg trains

Rarebreed, abalada answered all your questions, you really need to read the thread.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nuremburg to Rothenburg trains

Yup. Use the link abalada provided to look up those train connections.

Surrey
Level Contributor
186 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nuremburg to Rothenburg trains

Sorry I must be having a golden moment but I cant see a link which shows the train duration/prices for a train to Nuremburg. I have looked at the thread but can only see a link from Rothemburg to Frankfurt? Can someone be very patient with me and explain? Thanks

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nuremburg to Rothenburg trains

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en takes you to the English page of German railways where you can look up your request...

to: Rothenburg ob der Tauber

(note spelling)

Surrey
Level Contributor
186 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nuremburg to Rothenburg trains

Thanks ,got the site and typed in the destination but there are 2 train stops in Rothenburg, which one is nearest to the Christmas market there??

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,710 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nuremburg to Rothenburg trains

there is only one station in Rothenburg. Keep the default option.

Gold Bar, Washington
Level Contributor
584 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nuremburg to Rothenburg trains

After you put in your route and travel options comes up, you click on station stops, you will get a detailed view of train station times and train changes info and if you want all stations in between stops click on show internmediate stops. Click on train icon shows all stops individual train makes.

You will see there is only one stop in Rothenburg ob der Tauber.