We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are "must sees" in Nuremberg?

chattanooga,TN
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
What are "must sees" in Nuremberg?

Friends & I will be traveling to Europe this summer. Have only 2 days in Nuremberg. Anybody have ideas/suggestions of places or experiences we "must see"?

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are "must sees" in Nuremberg?

What you should see depends on your tastes. I best liked three churches that were originally constructed in 13C & 14C: Sebaldus, Lorenz and Frauen. I suppose that I am most taken with what man could build in the days before power tools, when every stone had to be chiseled and lifted by manpower. I understand that many of these structures were built by trial and error. All three churches are in the Altstadt (Old Town) pedestrian zone. Reading about them first in a guide book (Michelin Green in my case) can help the experience.

Regards, Gary

Byen
Level Contributor
579 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What are "must sees" in Nuremberg?

As said, depends on your tastes. Germanisches Nationalmuseum is huge and more or less a must if you are even slightly interessted in german culture.

http://www.gnm.de/

More recent german history you will find at the Documentation Centre Nazi Party Rally Grounds museums.nuremberg.de/documentation-centre/

And the Deutsche Bahn Museum deutschebahn.com/site/dbmuseum/de/start.html is a must for railway buffs like myself.

There's also a big toy museum i Nürnberg and of course an Albrecht Dürer museum.

A must for me is also the Biergarten Hexenhäusle behind the castle hill …bayern-online.de/Staedte/Nuernberg/Bierloka…

I can't say anything about the food, but beer, service and ambience is great.

chattanooga,TN
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What are "must sees" in Nuremberg?

Gary, thanks for your helpful post. I'm interested in history, culture & architecture with some fun & food along the way.

Thanks again,

DEB

chattanooga,TN
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What are "must sees" in Nuremberg?

Frank, wil be checking our websites & adding sites of interest to my list.

Thank you so much.

DEB

Upstate NY,USA
Level Contributor
2 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are "must sees" in Nuremberg?

I have been here numersous times. Tour the old city centre completely, especially the castle area and churches. If you have time, take the 1hour trip out to Rothenberg ob der Tauber. it is amazing and might be one of your favorite stops !

Gold Bar, Washington
Level Contributor
584 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are "must sees" in Nuremberg?

Germanisches Nationalmuseum is huge. They even have a complete church inside museum.

I really enjoyed Albrecht Dürer museum also.

Churches mentioned by Gary are also churches I liked the best.

Sausages in a bier garden. We had some close to Sebaldus.

Kaiserburg walk around grounds for free, tours only German

Info Nürnberg

www.nuernberg.de/internet/portal_e/index.html

for museum info

museums.nuremberg.de/

I also liked City Museum Fembohaus

After you decide where you want to go there is Nürnberg Card for 2 days with 1 day tripper card for Transportation in Nürnberg you can purchase to lower costs.

tourismus.nuernberg.de/v04/pub/index.html…

If you are traveling by train Hotel Victoria (we stayed here) is very convenient. Outside tunnel on the left, tourist office across street and bahns are very close also. Walk to Germanisches Nationalmuseum and train museum.

chattanooga,TN
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What are "must sees" in Nuremberg?

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Will pass on info to my friends for review.

DEB

chattanooga,TN
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What are "must sees" in Nuremberg?

Will definitely look into Rothenberg trip. Thanks for your help.

DEB

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What are "must sees" in Nuremberg?

Seems everybody has covered the highlights, but the two musts are the altstadt and the Nazi grounds. Nuernberg seems to always have a fest of some kind going on, and they are right next to the Documentation Center. If you really have time to kill, I think their Tiergarten (zoo) is better than Berlin's.

TheHague
Level Contributor
928 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What are "must sees" in Nuremberg?

BavariaJG gives the best advice, you can't leave Nuremberg without walking through the Altstadt to the castle at the top of the hill, nor can you not tour the Nazi rally grounds, which are by the football stadium. The excellent museum documenting the Nuremberg rallies and the rise of the Third Reich does an excellent leaflet giving you a walk in the neighbourhood which takes in all the highlights from this era, many of which are hidden away and forgotten about. The parade grounds and tribunes are still there, they provide good photo opportunities :-)

One thing not mentioned by anybody, which I would recommend, is the courthouse where the Nuremberg trials were held after WWII. This is about 5 minutes ride from the centre on a tram and open for guided tours in English and German, again quite fascinating for anybody with a knowledge of WWII and the Third Reich.