We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is best place to eat Karp near the Christmas Market?

Montana
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Topic
Where is best place to eat Karp near the Christmas Market?

Subject line says it all.

Thanks.

Frank

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is best place to eat Karp near the Christmas Market?

I can not help you with the where.

Many years ago I was served carp on Christmas or Christmas Eve in Salzburg. It was the only selection in a fixed course meal. It was nearly inedible for me. The texture was just too mushy the way that it was fixed. You are a better man than I if you could handle that.

Regards, Gary

Hinckley
Level Contributor
123 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is best place to eat Karp near the Christmas Market?

Your luck is in! The eastern side of the Christmas market is right in the centre of the Carp district. Everyone including the rich and famous, eats at Unter Den Karpfen next to the Rathaus.

Failing that you can try the restaurant Karpfen Diem which is just around the block from the restaurant above. It's on an upper floor so has no visible frontage, but the rather discreet entrance can be found just next to Scroedingers Katzen pet shop.

Enjoy!

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is best place to eat Karp near the Christmas Market?

Can't answer your question, but just today I thought about carp. There were some giant ones floating in a pond at Mainau Insel. Germans were oohing and aahing about how they wanted to catch it and eat it. All I kept thinking is WTF is up with eating carp? I'm from central California and the only people we knew who ate carp were the homeless and/or bums.

Hinckley
Level Contributor
123 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is best place to eat Karp near the Christmas Market?

Thanks for your very well researched insight into Carp dishes BavariaJG. You have just dismissed hundred of years of European heritage, by saying that only '..the homeless and / or bums...' ate carp. Pardon my French, but you are talking utter 'carp' pal.

You stick to your burgers and 'freedom' fries and let Frank enjoy the culture of a part of the world that actually has a culture.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is best place to eat Karp near the Christmas Market?

So sensitive...but here's some food for thought. Don't dismiss American culture so quickly...otherwise, what would you watch on your television/movie screens, listen to on your radio, or indulge in on your quick hunger/thirst fixes? Like it or not, American culture has already pervaded Europe, and maybe you don't want it, but your neighbors' kids can't live without it.

Hinckley
Level Contributor
123 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is best place to eat Karp near the Christmas Market?

To answer your questions:-

- I don't own a TV, and don't visit the cinema.

- I listen to Test Match Special on the radio (cracking finish to the first test vs. Sri Lanka), and Zep, The Who, The Stones, and Tull on my stereo.

- My fave snalcks are Croque Monsieur, and Prawns Arrabiata and Ciabatta.

- I drink English real ale and Mosel white wine. And Irn Bru as it is made from girders.

However I agree that many cannot live without American influence, regardless of whether we want it.

My issue is your post made no effort to answer the question or even to add to the richness of the debate, but instead likened a traditional European dish to something that someone might try and find discarded in a garbage truck.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,085 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is best place to eat Karp near the Christmas Market?

As with most of Central Europe, in the Czech Republic it is the traditional Christmas dish as well and everybody I know, myself included, are thankful that this day comes around but once a year as it really is the most dreadful fish to eat lots of tiny little bones and a muddy flavour. It is only tradition that drives people to cook it, and then it takes a year to forget how horrible it was ... and so it goes on ... :))

Edited: 30 May 2011, 20:45
Hinckley
Level Contributor
123 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is best place to eat Karp near the Christmas Market?

My family are from northern Poland, and I too, eat Carp on Christmas Eve, and only Christmas Eve.

Yes it is boney, but find that shredding it with a fork helps. In terms of flavour, I generally eat it with a typically Polish sauce of butter, raisins and almonds, which may mask any taste of mud.

However we are moving from the central theme - Places to eat carp in Nuremberg.

Montana
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is best place to eat Karp near the Christmas Market?

Here is some additional info a friend gave. Order a small or

medium carp. Big ones are too fat. His wife was very hesitant to try.

But she loved them. Fins and jaws are best. Of course, with bier.

I didn't mean to start cultural war.

Thanks.

Frank

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,719 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is best place to eat Karp near the Christmas Market?

There are a zillion things I enjoy about the culture in Germany as well as in the rest of Europe, but, like BaveriaJG,, not desiring to eat bottom feeding carp certainly does not mean I am trashing 100's of years of European culture.

Carp is a poor persons fish in America. 2 different continents, 2 different traditions. One is bad and the other is good?

I don't know a single German who eats carp, so it must not be that beloved of a tradition. The only time I see it sold is at Christmas time for those who still serve it on Christmas Eve.