We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nuremberg with toddlers in December

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
156 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Nuremberg with toddlers in December

My husband and I will be arriving on 8 Dec for 4 nights with our children who will then be aged 2 & 4. I was last in Nuremberg in Dec 2004!

Anyway, we are hoping (courtesy of jetlag!!) to see the Christmas markets and just read via another forum post about Playmobil- sounds like an awesome day trip!

Can anyone tell me whether the toy museum would be suitable for a 2 yr old? Also, which would be the easiest day trip with the children? Regensberg?

Last time I was here, I stayed in a youth hostel. Can anyone recommend some well-located accomodation? I was hoping for an apartment / interconnecting rooms?

Finally, does central Nuremberg have many outdoor parks for the kids to play at?

Thanks so much for any advice!!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,153 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nuremberg with toddlers in December

outdoor parks are not a safe option in December because it is likely to be cold and rainy, maybe snowy.

Give the toy museum a try and don't miss out on the castle! Playmobil is a MUST with kids.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
156 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nuremberg with toddlers in December

Thanks for your replpy.

I'm not quite sure why the parks would be unsafe?? I grew up very cold temperatures as we still went to the park in winter. We just wore parkers and a beanie. Is there something I'm missing?

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nuremberg with toddlers in December

If it's a nice crisp cold maybe with sunshine you can go to the park, but we often get a damp cold that creeps into your clothes, than going to a park is no fun no matter what you wear.

That's why #1 is saying a park is an unsafe option, you can't count on it.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,153 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nuremberg with toddlers in December

"unsafe" as far as the weather is concerned. Snow-covered or wet slides, swings and sand-boxes or muddy lawns are not that much fun.

It's very likely to be cold, rainy and damp in December.

Edited: 24 April 2013, 15:58
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
156 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nuremberg with toddlers in December

If the weather is bad of course we won't go. I understand that it may cold / damp. I was just hoping someone would tell me if / where some parks were located. Chances are there will be at least one day suitable for 1/2 hr in a park!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,277 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nuremberg with toddlers in December

I've never been to the Nuremberg toy museum, but my feelings on them in general are that they are more for adults who can relive some of their past than for young children. Those that I've accompanied having absolutely no interest in the old toys but preferring to play with other children if there is a play section of the museum, and that's not old toys with which they will be playing.

Wood Dale, Illinois
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nuremberg with toddlers in December

I will be in Nuremburg in June with my 2 young children (7 &4) and I too would be interested in anyone's comments about parks/playgrounds in the city center. Are there many/any? Being able to intersperse stops at a playground with walking around the castle, altstadt, etc would definitely help to keep them happy :)

And of course we will be going to Playmobil Fun Park.....it actually the part of the trip my kids are looking forward to the most . If we only went there and then went back home they would be happy :)

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,153 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nuremberg with toddlers in December

http://goo.gl/maps/etVaW

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,365 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nuremberg with toddlers in December

Some of the youth hostels now have private bathrooms and are more like motels. Perhaps that would be an option for you. The Nuremberg one is even in a castle. hostelz.com/hostel/20713-Nuremberg-Youth-Hos…

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
236 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nuremberg with toddlers in December

We visited Nuremberg in January, and it was cold but nice and dry with even a bit of sun, so hopefully you will get this weather too. I don't remember seeing any parks when we walked around the old town, but I'm sure in the greater city of Nuremberg there must be quite a few.