We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nuremberg: River cruise; suggestions for the day

Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Nuremberg: River cruise; suggestions for the day

We are arriving at Viking dock for river cruise at noon and have entire first day free. Can anyone offer suggestions on what to do for the afternoon. How far from city do we dock? Can you catch city bus and do line 36; tourist line around town from where ship docks? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

City Tour Nuremberg
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Wie schmeckt meine Stadt
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Food Tours, Sightseeing Tours
MultimediaBUSiness
City Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,898 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nuremberg: River cruise; suggestions for the day

Nuremberg public transport network

http://www.vgn.de/media/stadtverkehr_nue.pdf

city bus #36 leaflet

vag.de/consoleo_files/modulefiles//filebrows…

The river cruise boats dock near the bus stop "Rotterdamer Str." served by bus line 67. Both lines do not connect directly - but you can use other bus lines or the U-Bahn (metro). Day ticket (VGN TagesTicket Plus) for 2 adults is EUR 8,50. Covered are all means of local public transport: regional trains, S-Bahn, U-Bahn, trams and buses.

The leaflet for the bus #36 lists already many sights.

Nuremberg Historical Mile

…nuernberg.de/englisch/e_start.htm

Germanisches Nationalmuseum

http://www.gnm.de/index.php?id=384

Mentioned in this post
Germanisches Nationalmuseum
Germanisches...
617 Reviews
Nuremberg, Germany
Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nuremberg: River cruise; suggestions for the day

Sincere thanks for taking the time to share this helpful information

Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nuremberg: River cruise; suggestions for the day

Thanks again for all your help. Hate to be so dumb but all new to me so hopefully you will give me more directions; Love this map : vag.de/consoleo_files/modulefiles//filebrows…and info on what to do but which number is "Rotterdamer Str."?

Also how far would it be to walk from VIking ship to Rotterdamer Station?

Next dumb question: I don't understand this point:

Both lines do not connect directly - but you can use other bus lines or the U-Bahn (metro).

So from Viking cruise, I walk to Rotterdamer Station ; buy a one day ticket and can ride it and get on and off and get off at any of the 36 points of interests. Is that correct?

Then why would I want to use other bus lines or Metro?

Sincere thanks for bearing with me and your sincere help.

SIncere thanks

Day ticket (VGN TagesTicket Plus) for 2 adults is EUR 8,50. Covered are all means of local public transport: regional trains, S-Bahn, U-Bahn, trams and buses.there's a large group of us and we don't

Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nuremberg: River cruise; suggestions for the day

Do hope someone can answer those questions for me or tell me where to post to get the answers. Sincere thanks.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,898 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nuremberg: River cruise; suggestions for the day

> which number is "Rotterdamer Str."?

Rotterdamer Str. is not served by bus #36 at all. Has thus no number.

You can spot Rotterdamer Str. on the first linked map. It's just north of the harbor which looks like a T standing on its head. Of course in blue.

> Also how far would it be to walk from VIking ship to Rotterdamer Station?

Basically Rotterdamer Str. bus stop is just across the Rhine-Main-Danube canal from the cruise boat piers.

http://goo.gl/maps/mFPYo

Rotterdamer Str. is served by bus line 67. This bus line ends at the U-Bahn (metro) station Frankenstr. From there you can travel by U-Bahn (U1 or U11) to Plärrer - the start point of the bus line #36. Or exit at the U-Bahn station Lorenzkirche central in the old city.

From the end point of the bus #36, the bus stop Doku-Zentrum you can use the bus line 65 to get to Frankenstr. and from there back by bus 67 to Rottderdamer Str.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,898 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nuremberg: River cruise; suggestions for the day

map Frankenstr. U-Bahn station and bus stops

vgn.de/ib/…UP_FR.pdf

My suggestion:

1. Rotterdamer Str. - bus 67 - Frankenstr. - U-Bahn U1/U11 - Lorenzkirche

do the part of the historical mile city tour from station 6 to 35

…nuernberg.de/grafik/hm750.jpg

historische-meile.nuernberg.de/hm_english.pdf

2. Hauptmarkt - bus 36 - Doku-Zentrum

visit the documentation center and/or the Nazi Party Really Grounds

museums.nuremberg.de/documentation-centre/

kubiss.de/kulturreferat/…stationen.htm

3. Doku-Zentrum - bus 65 - Frankenstr. - bus 67 - Rotterdamer Str.

Mentioned in this post
Hauptmarkt
Hauptmarkt
1,006 Reviews
Nuremberg, Germany
Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nuremberg: River cruise; suggestions for the day

Can't thank you enough for always being so helpful; sincere thanks. Wishing a super nice person like you all the best in life.

Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nuremberg: River cruise; suggestions for the day

This person: abalada is fantastic! Just went into all the links he sent me and overwhelmed by all the details and great maps. I now have a clear understanding of how to handle transportation plus everything to see and do in Nuremberg. Wonderful to have people like Abalada to give his time so freely to help others.

Sincere thanks

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nuremberg: River cruise; suggestions for the day

Totally agree. We learnt so much prior to our trip from Abalada ' s many contributions and it has all gone so smoothly having had that information beforehand.

Edited: 07 July 2013, 07:23
10. Re: Nuremberg: River cruise; suggestions for the day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 05:18