We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regensburg and Nuremberg from Munich in one day?

Which Nuremberg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
303 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Regensburg and Nuremberg from Munich in one day?

We are going to stay in an apartment in Munich that a family friend owns so I don't want to get a hotel in either of these places ( can't pass up free). I would like to see the sites of Regensburg and the Christmas market in Nuremberg. ( I know there is more to do there but my priority is the Christmas market. My questions is can I do this as a day trip from Munich or would these need to be two different day trips? If we have to pick one- which wold you choose?

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Regensburg and Nuremberg from Munich in one day?

Too much for one day. Each of these cities could keep you busy for several days in a row. How about seeing the four(!) Christmas markets, or some of them, in Regensburg instead of wasting a large chunk of the day for transfers?

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
522 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Regensburg and Nuremberg from Munich in one day?

I agree with BlandineForberg that you can't do both in one day. If I had to pick one, it would be Regensburg. Regensburg is more authentic. Nuremberg was heavily damaged during the war and much of it hasn't been rebuilt, so there is much nasty post-war architecture between the rebuilt old houses.

California
Level Contributor
303 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Regensburg and Nuremberg from Munich in one day?

I think I am more interested in Regensburg but the hubby likes the WW II aspect of Nuremberg so we might have to do each. Thanks!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Regensburg and Nuremberg from Munich in one day?

Wise decision bearette! If you have enough time, devote a full day to each city. There is more than enough to see in either.

As you'll want to see the Christmas market in Nürnberg, avoid going on Friday or Saturday if your schedule permits - especially Saturday when the city is overrun with shoppers, day trippers and tour buses and the market is a total zoo, crowded wall to wall and no fun. The best time to visit would be a weekday in the daytime.

California
Level Contributor
303 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Regensburg and Nuremberg from Munich in one day?

Thanks. I was thinking about doing a Saturday to take an earlier train so I will switch that idea!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
3 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Regensburg and Nuremberg from Munich in one day?

The Christmas Market in Nuremberg is great! My husband and I actually lived there for a few years. It is very busy. I haven't gone from Munich to Regensburg and back by train only by car and it's a short drive (2-3 hours depending on traffic) and then to Nuremberg I believe it's another hour or so.. So I don't think you will have enough time, I recommend you hit the Nuremberg market in the evening though- the lights and food vendors are amazing!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Regensburg and Nuremberg from Munich in one day?

if you hubby is a history buff than he must go to Nuremberg. The museums are full of informations about WW2 that you don't want to miss.

Beside the old town is great and fun to visit.

California
Level Contributor
303 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Regensburg and Nuremberg from Munich in one day?

Thanks again for the advice. We will definitely do both. I don't want to miss great sights trying to rush.

Freising, Germany
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Regensburg and Nuremberg from Munich in one day?

You don´t mention the exact date you will be in Munich, but if it´s early in december, you might combine Regensburg with Kloster Weltenburg. There´s also a Christmas market from 30.11 - 02.12., which is very nice.

Freising, Germany
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Regensburg and Nuremberg from Munich in one day?

Ups, I have to correct myself, it was the date in 2012, this year is not. :(