We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 4 min enough to change trains with luggage?

Tennessee
Level Contributor
181 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Is 4 min enough to change trains with luggage?

In searching for train info going from Nuremberg to Rothenberg odt on a Sunday morning, I noticed that the transfer time in both Ansbach & Steinach is only 4 minutes!n Is this really enough time for 2 old people (age 72) hauling luggage?? In Ansbach arrival on track 2 & departure on track 3. In Steinach arrival at track 2 & departure on track 5. Are these both very small stations? This particular routing is available to us for 29 euros total via DB's special fare.

I can get longer transfer times using RB all the way -- someone please explain what the Bayern Ticket would cost for 2 of us? And is that something we buy at the Nuremberg train station on Sun. morning before getting the train?

(We will be leaving from Rothenberg odT the next day to go to Frankfurt airport . Transfer times are much more favorable for us on this route.)

Mentioned in this post
Nuremberg
Nuremberg
Middle Franconia, Germany
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 4 min enough to change trains with luggage?

I wouldn't buy the special fare, but the Bayern Ticket instead. This is EUR 22 for the first person and EUR 4 for an additional person, so it's cheaper than the ticket you found. Just make sure that you only use local transport (check the box on the website, in the bottom right corner of where you're looking for your connection).

To get from track 2 to track 3, you probably don't even have to leave the platform. To get from track 2 to track 5, you will. And the problem with smaller stations is that they usually don't have elevators or escalators. If you're lucky, there's a little luggage belt next to the stairs. It's quite slow, but you don't have to carry your luggage.

So I'd say, get the Bayern Ticket, and print out the next connection, just in case you can't make the first one. (Sometimes, trains are also delayed, so it's a good idea to have the next connection with you anyway.)

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,981 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 4 min enough to change trains with luggage?

Nuremberg and Rothenburg ob der Tauber are inside the same local public transport association, the VGN. Cheaper than a Bayern Ticket for 2 is a VGN TagesTicket Plus for EUR 16,80. If bought on Saturday this ticket is even valid for Saturday and Sunday.

http://www.vgn.de/en/dayticket?Edition=en&p=2

Covered are all means of local public transport: regional trains, S-Bahn, U-Bahn, trams and buses. Using the DB timetable select as means of transport "only local transport" to see only connections you can use with this ticket. You can buy this ticket from any machine or person selling public transport tickets in Nuremberg.

http://www.vgn.de/en/tickets/buy?Edition=en

> In Ansbach arrival on track 2 & departure on track 3.

Track 2 and track 3 share the same platform at Ansbach.

> In Steinach arrival at track 2 & departure on track 5.

The only purpose of Steinach train station is to connect the branch line serving Rothenburg with the main line. Steinach village is tiny and not even directly at this train station. Thus virtually all passenger exiting the train from Ansbach there will head to the train at track 5 for Rothenburg. No one will be left stranded there.

Mentioned in this post
Nuremberg
Nuremberg
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
23,583 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 4 min enough to change trains with luggage?

I think that even if your train is on time (and they usually are), you could still be tight for time. and is there any point in getting stressed trying to rush for the connection? I would suggest that you look for a better timed connection that would allow you to sit down and have a coffee or tea.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
74 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 4 min enough to change trains with luggage?

Good Luck

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,190 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 4 min enough to change trains with luggage?

It will be fine. With the day pass you can take any train, so if you miss the connection, you just wait for the next train. No problem. But since as stated above, the only real purpose of this station is to clnnect people to the RobT train, you will be fine

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 4 min enough to change trains with luggage?

There are no "better timed connections". The trains are synchronized with each other. Each connection is equally short. If you miss a train you take the next one - which will be 1 h later.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
23,583 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is 4 min enough to change trains with luggage?

altamiro. that is what I mean. rather than two elderly people struggling to make a possible 4 min connection, it would be better to have a coffee and wait for the next train!

(ps I am not being ageist, I am that age myself!)

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is 4 min enough to change trains with luggage?

This is always a plan B, but you hardly need 4 minutes to just cross a platform - no matter how old you are (and still walking)!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
23,583 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is 4 min enough to change trains with luggage?

altamiro. I take it that you are a sprightly young thing. unfortunately some of us get old and less agile. the simple fact is that the train arriving might not be exactly on time for what ever reason, and if the op has trouble getting their luggage off the train etc, it would probably be unnecessary stress. far better to give the 4 min gap train a miss, and take life more leisurely, and have a bit of refreshment.

the op was obviously concerned about the lack of time available, so I wouldn't push them to unnecessary stress.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,305 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is 4 min enough to change trains with luggage?

Unless you have to be at your destination at a particular time, why worry about the connection. You just take the next train if you miss your first connection which will be the same if you had chosen 64 minutes for the connection. I don't know what the situation is at the station there, whether seats or refreshments are available, but if not, I would definitely try to make that 4 minute connection. And it never hurts to be one of the first standing by the door of the train with your luggage before arrival so that you'll be one of the first off the train.