We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best train options?

Which Nuremberg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
best train options?

Just planning a holiday for Sept 2014. Thinking of flying in to Munich then train to Nuremberg and onwards to wurzburg and Bamberg by train returning to munich (3nights in each location). Can you tell me if there is a rover ticket available or would I have to book each leg separately?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,142 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: best train options?

As these trips are all inside Bavaria you can use Bayern Tickets.

bahn.de/i/…bavaria-ticket.shtml

- only regional trains

- on weekdays only past 9am, on Sa or Su all day

+ covers additionally all local public transport in these cities

+ flexible (you don't have to book anything, just buy the Bayern Ticket on spot on the day of travel)

For Nuremberg to Bamberg there is a cheaper alternative as these 2 cities are inside the same local public transport association.

VGN TagesTicket Plus

http://www.vgn.de/en/dayticket?Edition=en&p=2

Again a local public transport day ticket. But no past 9am restriction. And if bought on a Saturday also good for Sunday.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,251 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best train options?

If you use the Bayern ticket and take the regional express, check the departures and travel times on www.dbahn.de - some of the regional trains stop at every place along the way, some have limited stop - you can save a lot of time if you plan your trip so that you get on one with limited stops. The trains that make every stop take a long time to get to Nuremburg. This ticket becomes a really good deal if you are travelling with other people since it is 22 euro for the first person and then only 4 euro per person up to 5 people.

Another option - if you want to get from Munich to Nuremburg faster is to take the ICE train - takes about an hour. The same-day fares are high, but if you buy your tickets ahead of time, you can get the Saver Fare, which is a lot cheaper - I see them as low as 19 euro/person. You have to buy your ticket in advance and the ticket is for a particular departure - so you loose some flexibility, but you get there faster for a good fare.

Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best train options?

thanks for the responses...will investigate further. The ICE option sounds a good idea for the 1st (and possibly return ) leg.

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
399 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best train options?

If you are flying into Munich and then taking the train to Nuremburg the same day, then I would not do the advance purchase ICE ticket. The advance tickets are for specific trains and if you miss that train, then you are out of luck. I know from experience - this happened to me last month because my plane was late.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,251 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best train options?

Oh yeah, definitely - if there is a possibility of being late (due to an overseas flight) and missing your train, then pre-purchasing train tickets to get the saver fare is a risk. It is a good deal if you can be sure of being in control of your own schedule, but with long flights it can be a problem.

Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best train options?

Thanks for the warning

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
27 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best train options?

One other thing you might want to check are round-trip flights Munich/Nuremberg/Munich. The trains in Germany aren't as cheap , or as reliable, as they used to be when they were a State owned. Flights within Germany are often very competitively priced and might be more convenient. On your way back to Munich it will probably be easier to get a train from Bamberg to Nuremberg than a train from Bamberg to Munich, especially if you use the cheaper Bayern Tickets.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
27 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best train options?

I almost forgot another option: busses. Up until this year the Deutsche Bahn had a monopoly on inter-German transport and, therefore, busses were locked out. Check this out: meinfernbus.de/…

Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best train options?

thanks, Kevin

I have been doing a little research and have the option of flying Dublin/Frankfurt/Nuremberg or Dublin/Munich and then train...and may have to curtail the trip to less days...perhaps staying 5 or 6 days in Nuremberg and travelling out...rather than nights in each location. I presume the Nuremberg/Bamberg train is easy enough to negotiate

10. Re: best train options?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 October 2013, 18:35