We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking day trip suggestions other than Bamberg

Which Nuremberg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Seeking day trip suggestions other than Bamberg

I will be in Nuremburg in mid May. I would like to do 2 day trips. I'm planning to take a day trip to Bamberg and was thinking of Rothenburg. It seems, from what I read, that Rothenburg is somewhat a logistical issue to get to and very crowded and touristy. Any suggestions for another place to visit?

Thank you.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,161 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking day trip suggestions other than Bamberg

Consider Iphofen.

Rothenburg is, in my view, still worth considering. Yes there are other tourists there but it's not crowded. You can walk the walls and only see 2 or 3 other people the entire time. Marktplatz will have people sitting on the steps and wandering around but off the main drag you can find seclusion.

You may have an impression of waiting in lines or finding it hard to walk because of tourist crowds. Its not like that.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
908 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking day trip suggestions other than Bamberg

Logistically, Rothenburg is not difficult to get to, 2 train changes, but well synchronized.

Sure, lots of tourists visit,... that's because it's fantastic. We walked the walls and barely met another person. Had a lovely lunch near a town gate, so picturesque.

First encountered a crowd in the main street and then the tour groups being herded to a photo opportunity at another gate. Easily avoided. I was actually surprised how few people actually wandered the side streets, so beautiful.

new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking day trip suggestions other than Bamberg

Thank you. Will reconsider Rothenburg.

Wood Dale, Illinois
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking day trip suggestions other than Bamberg

I would recommend Regensburg. So far my favorite city I have been to in Germany. It is about an hour direct train ride from Nuremberg. Beautiful old medieval city, not bombed during WWII. The old stone bridge over the Danube is fantastic, there are remnants of the old Roman wall that surrounded the city, a wonderful gothic cathedral, St Emmeran's church and Turn und Taxis palace, beautiful medieval tower houses, and the list goes on and on. Regensburger sausages are small and delicious, very similar to Nuernbergers. There are several good breweries in town-my favorites were Spital, brewed since 1226, and Kneitinger, brewed since 1530. There is also a university in town and it is a lively and vibrant place - a place where real people live, shop and eat.

Lastly, I encountered virtually no tourists. Outside of the area where Danube river cruises dock I saw none. Didn't even hear a word of English spoken on the streets in the 2 nights I was there (in off season though-October), although the residents I encountered all spoke English if my bad German couldn't get me through :-). Really, I can't recommend it enough.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,186 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking day trip suggestions other than Bamberg

I'd go with the suggestion of Iphofen - an old walled town not unlike Rothenburg but with an emphasis on art and wine and without the heavy onslaught of tourists and just 45 minutes by DIRECT train from Nuremberg.

See photos: stadtbild-deutschland.org/forum/index.php…

There's a Riemenschneider sculpture in the St. Veit church there - and much more to see around town as well:

Town brochure: iphofen.de/download/ortsprospekt_englisch_10…

Mönchssondheim - the town itself is a museum - is nearby. It's open 10-6 Tue - Sun (€4.)

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…B6nchsondheim.jpg

Wood Dale, Illinois
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking day trip suggestions other than Bamberg

i have also heard Amberg recommended as a daytrip from Nuremberg, but I have not been there personally. Does anyone have any insight into Amberg, and how it may compare to any of the other places mentioned?

new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking day trip suggestions other than Bamberg

Thanks everyone. Russ, I'm not clear if Monchssondheim is a town or museum in Iphofen. Is Iphofen a full day or can I combine it with a nearby attraction?

Erlangen, Germany
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking day trip suggestions other than Bamberg

Amberg is a nice small town with beautiful architecture but compared to Bamberg and Rothenburg it's less "spectacular". I would go with Regensburg instead. Würzburg, Augsburg and Nördlingen are also worth a visit.

It's even possible to make a day trip to Munich - although you obviously won't be able to see everything. But seven or eight hours in Munich are enough to visit some of the main sights: Marienplatz, Odeonsplatz, Frauenkirche, Viktualienmarkt, Hofbräuhaus, Englischer Garten. So if you've never been there before you should consider going there.

Wood Dale, Illinois
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeking day trip suggestions other than Bamberg

hunteradams - thanks for seconding Regensburg for the OP! Love that place...

Question for you - I will actually be in Nuremberg this summer, predominantly since the kids want to go back to Playmobil Fun Park in Zirndorf. I will probably have part of a day free, not a whole day, to go see some other place. Last year from Nuremberg we went to Forchheim, which was a nice town, especially the kellerwald :). Would you recommend Amberg for a short trip, couple of hours total? Or do you have some other place that fits better? I have been to the bigger options (Regensburg, Bamberg, Munich, etc) either previously or will be going separately on this upcoming trip, so just interested in an interesting little town for a couple hours-walk around, grab a bier, etc. Thanks!

Erlangen, Germany
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seeking day trip suggestions other than Bamberg

For a short trip Amberg would be an option. You can see most of the Old town in a couple of hours and have a beer in one of the cafés - I recommend the one by the city hall.

Ansbach also comes to mind. It's a baroque town so it's a nice contrast to Nuremberg. You should check out the two main churches, the Residenz and the Hofgarten. Bayreuth is similar but it has a Wagnerian feel to it. ;)

Lauf an der Pegnitz is closer to Nuremberg, a beautiful medieval town with virtually no tourists.

Wolframs-Eschenbach is even smaller but also quiet nice.

If you want to stay near Nuremberg: Fürth, especially Gustavstraße, and the Schiffstraße area in Erlangen have many pubs to offer.

I can give you more information on every town if you want to.