We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What kind of gift would be appreciated?

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
495 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
What kind of gift would be appreciated?

My husband & I will be taking a river cruise along the Main & Rhine Rivers and will be going to a private home for a Kaffeeklatsch. We have been advised to bring a small gift, typical of where we live (Long Island) but local wines and produce are not conducive to traveling. Would maple syrup be of any use there? We'd appreciate any suggestions of things that might be difficult to get in Germany.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,829 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What kind of gift would be appreciated?

You can buy real maple syrup in any grocery store in Germany.

What about a photo calender of your area?

Fudge is unknown here, so that would be one food item that might work.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
495 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What kind of gift would be appreciated?

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. Are there any other food items that might not be available there?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,843 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What kind of gift would be appreciated?

There are lots of American food items that aren't available except to members of the US military, but being unknown to German people, they would have no real desire to buy them or try them. As an American formerly living in Germany, I would take back to Germany a large duffle bag of items that I couldn't buy there such as canned crab meat, PayDay candy bars, Alaskan smoked salmon, sugar-free drink mixes, etc. But these are hardly gift items. Another thing you cannot buy there is imitation maple syrup which I prefer to the real thing. I once though of bringing back to a German friend who liked Dr. Pepper, their barbecue sauce but being a liquid I didn't.

Some museum shop items might make a good gift.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,763 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What kind of gift would be appreciated?

Just make sure it's made in the USA -Lol

5. Re: What kind of gift would be appreciated?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 07:16