We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st of 2nd class for bayern pass

Which Nuremberg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Charles...
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
1st of 2nd class for bayern pass

I have one quick question about the bayern pass. Is it worth the money to get 1st class or is 2nd good enough. We are a party of 3 traveling if that helps any. Thanks in advance.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,158 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st of 2nd class for bayern pass

2nd class is fine. usually open coaches (ie not partitioned internally) with two seats each side of the aisle, and two forward facing with two backward facing seats. On double deck trains there are some airline styl seats and a few with intervening tables.

With three travelling you should be able to grab the two facing two arrangement.

As a word of warning: many older Bavarians seem to have a pathological fear of drafts/draughts. So if you are in a non aircon carriage and open the window, be prepared for glares, and even people coming along and shutting it. In aircon of course no issue. You re likely to be able to enjoy a dance where the window is opened as the train stops at a station by a hot traveller, who then leaps up to close it as the train starts once more.

Edited: 01 June 2014, 16:47
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,829 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st of 2nd class for bayern pass

Ethelman, if you see your fellow travelers as diseased, you deserve every "glare" that comes your way. Polite travelers ask before opening a window!

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,637 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st of 2nd class for bayern pass

Polite travelers let others open the window when it is hot on the train. I have sat in sweltering trains while some grumpy biddy puts up a stink about open windows. Drafts do not make you sick nor diseased. If you are that sick that a cool breeze is dangerous, you shouldn't be on the train anyway, you should be in a hospital.

It isn't just Bavarians that slam windows shut without asking. It happens everywhere in Germany.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,184 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st of 2nd class for bayern pass

Windows that open are becoming rarer and rarer.

Choose 1st class if you want sit alone. There is VERY little difference between 1st and second class in the local and regional trains as a rule - except that almost no one rides 1st class.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,158 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st of 2nd class for bayern pass

"Ethelman, if you see your fellow travelers as diseased, you deserve every "glare" that comes your way. Polite travelers ask before opening a window!"

WTF?

Polite travellers don't get on a train and immediately close a window that happens to be open.

Given the way this forum is going, I'll stay away in future. I don't need flaming for a mild joke that made a valid point.

Mods: please cancel my DE status for R o.d .T.

Leave it to the locals who are MUCH better qualified than we travellers.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,637 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st of 2nd class for bayern pass

Ethelman, I wouldn't pay any attention to anything that Petra says, or at least take it with a grain of salt. This is the same person that year after year tells people that public transportation shuts down in Munich on Christmas Eve. Even when it has been pointed out to her that it doesn't.

People slamming windows shuts drives me crazy too.

Edited: 01 June 2014, 18:35
Plattsmouth Ne
Level Contributor
341 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st of 2nd class for bayern pass

Back to the OP's question, "Is it worth the money to get a first class, or is second good enough?" Second class is just fine, but if the train is crowded, if its not a short trip, and if you have luggage, first class is worth the money as the chances of getting a seat are much better in first class.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,788 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st of 2nd class for bayern pass

Re - closing windows without asking. Many Czechs (as well as other central Europeans) suffer from the same affliction, i.e. a fear of draughts even when it is 30C outside. So it isn't just confined to Germany ... :)

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,158 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st of 2nd class for bayern pass

I wonder, GCEK, whether your use of the word "affliction" will draw the same unnecessary response from the second respondent?

The fact that you are not "denigrating" Germany and Germans probably means you're OK..

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,788 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st of 2nd class for bayern pass

I consider it to be an affliction whoever does it. I am absolutely non-discriminatory in that regard :)