We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regensburg, Bamberg, Würzburg & Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Regensburg, Bamberg, Würzburg & Rothenburg ob der Tauber

I plan to make two day trips during my upcoming stay in Nuremberg. I had already set my heart on Regensburg and Bamberg, but the more reading I do, the more I discover recommendations for visits to Würzburg and Rothenburg ob der Tauber.

Could anyone here please clarify whether either or both of these towns ought to take precedence over Bamberg and Regensburg?

Thank you

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,450 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Regensburg, Bamberg, Würzburg & Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Rothenburg is too touristy for my liking. I would instead visit Iphofen - just 45 minutes from N'berg by DIRECT train. You could do that stop ON THE WAY to Würzburg and still see Würzburg's major attractions if you were well-organized. This combo would take precedence over Regensburg, IMO. But then IMO, you need more than just 2 day trips in this area!

Iphofen: iphofen.de/download/ortsprospekt_englisch_10…

Iphofen photos: stadtbild-deutschland.org/forum/index.php…

Dachau, Germany
Level Contributor
390 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Regensburg, Bamberg, Würzburg & Rothenburg ob der Tauber

I agree with Russ, that Rothenburg is very touristy. I would recommend you definitely take a day to visit Bamberg (even if it also touristy), and one day to either go to Regensburg or Würzburg (it depends on your personal preferences). Both are beautiful old towns.

If you only have two days I would not try to fit more locations into it otherwise you just have to rush too much.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,583 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Regensburg, Bamberg, Würzburg & Rothenburg ob der Tauber

I would agree the R o d T is touristy but not that it should be avoided. That's like saying "don't go to Venice/Rome (wherever), there are too many tourists". I'm not likening R o d T to either city, BTW.

However, it's touristy at least partly because it's worth seeing.

However I wouldn't go there for a day. It deserves an overnight to get reasonable enjoyment of it after the flag-following crocodiles of tourists have left.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,792 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Regensburg, Bamberg, Würzburg & Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Any of those places are fine to visit and you should enjoy any of them. Investigate a little further and see which ones fit your interests the most. What you should not do is rush frantically about trying to "see it all", which is an impossibility. Just take the time to ENJOY what you do choose to visit.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Regensburg, Bamberg, Würzburg & Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Thank you all.

It has occured to me that the route to Erfurt, which is the city to which I will move after my stay in Nuremberg, on regional trains, passes through Würzburg. I am therefore thinking I will leave my hotel early on the day of check out and store my suitcase in Würzburg for the day before moving to Erfurt in the evening. That will allow me to see Regensburg, Bamberg AND Würzburg.

I have decided to dispense with Rothenburg ob der Tauber. As for the suggestion of Iphofen, thank you for that, but I am one for larger towns rather than small villages.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Regensburg, Bamberg, Würzburg & Rothenburg ob der Tauber

I'm heading to Rothenburg Ob De Tauber, it pretty much just took a google search for me to realise that I had to visit, it just looks so beautiful, I'm staying in Nuremberg for two nights then Rothenburg Ob De Tauber for one, but I don't have any day trips planned from Nuremberg.

The tourists don't put me off because I love touristy things :)

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Regensburg, Bamberg, Würzburg & Rothenburg ob der Tauber

I actually found Bamberg more touristy than Rothenburg. We were in Bamberg mid Dec and it was very crowded, although still a great place to visit and of course it has the wonderful Rauchbier. We stayed a couple of nights in Rothenburg odt just before Xmas and it was stunning. It snowed the 1st night and the place just looked magical, and it did not seem at all over run with tourists, even during the day. Maybe the cold weather and snow kept some away!

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,583 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Regensburg, Bamberg, Würzburg & Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Await the flames, EmeraldDiva. You ll be told you re wrong, almost certainly! It is heresy NOT to condemn R o d T as the most crowded town on the planet.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Regensburg, Bamberg, Würzburg & Rothenburg ob der Tauber

LOL ethelman2! Yes I know what you mean, but in our experience it just was not a problem. Even the Night Watchman Tour (overrated I thought - that will probably get me in more trouble!) was not very crowded. It was very cold and under snow but even during the day there were not a lot of people around and it was very very quiet in the evenings. When we climbed the Rathaus tower, we were all alone up there! However, it was snowing, so you couldn't see much. :)

Can only report on what we experienced, but it was lovely. It was late Dec though, maybe it is different in the warmer months.

Edited: 11 June 2014, 08:14
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
990 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Regensburg, Bamberg, Würzburg & Rothenburg ob der Tauber

I am in the 'love Rothenburg' camp too.

We went last summer, on a beautiful sunny day. Perfect tourist weather :) Expected dreadful crowds.

But everything was delightful. The walls were great to walk around and we barely passed another soul. Enjoyed a wonderful lunch under an umbrella, surrounded by flower boxes, within metres of a stunning gate in the wall. Did not experience the tourist crush until the main street, where a few groups seemed to get herded to their photo op. It is a totally beautiful town.

I find the negative 'touristy' label odd ...in Australia, tourists want to see koalas, we don't tell them not to because it's 'touristy'....