We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich to Passau to catch the river cruise

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Munich to Passau to catch the river cruise

Thankfully, from reading the previous questions and answers, I understand that it is not difficult to catch the regional train from Munich to Passau. I would like to know how close is the train station to the pier to catch the river cruise ship, Sound of Music? Walking distance or taxi? We travel light.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich to Passau to catch the river cruise

With luggage I would suggest taking a taxi - the distance rather depends on which landing stage your ship has berthed at as they are in a line along the riverbank.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,545 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich to Passau to catch the river cruise

maps with the A piers at Passau-Altstadt (Old Town)

www.stadtwerke-passau.de/pdf/Lageplan.pdf

and the L piers at Passau-Lindau

stadtwerke-passau.de/pages/…

and here a list where the ships will dock exactly. Is available however only for the next few weeks in advance.

stadtwerke-passau.de/pages/inhalt/hafen/lieg…

Distance from the Hauptbahnhof (main train station) to the frequently used piers A14 and A13 is 800 meters. To A1 2 km. The L piers (Passau-Lindau) are further 2,5 km downstream.

You can travel however to all of these by bus as well. If you travel on a Bayern Ticket - anyway the best deal - from Munich to Passau this ticket covers also the buses in Passau.

Passau bus network map

www.swp-passau.de/pdf/Linienplan_gross.pdf

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: Munich

or for Munich Airport (MUC)

Start: MUC

for the piers A14 and A13

Destination: Passau Nagelschmiedgasse

for the L piers

Destination: Passau Lindau

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich to Passau to catch the river cruise

Dear Abalada:

Thank you very kindly for your detailed reply. Your link helps a great deal. I gathered that I need to find out ahead of time which pier will the ship dock by your link. We won't be going until April 2012. It also seems to me that the best way to go from Munich to the Passau pier directly should be from the airport and not from the city center in Munich, is that so? We were planning on spending a couple of days in Munich first but I suppose we can take the train back to the airport since the train ticket will cover it anyway.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,545 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich to Passau to catch the river cruise

If you're in Munich take one of the hourly direct RE trains to Passau.

It's just so that if you arrive at Munich Airport and want to go directly to Passau it makes no sense to travel via Munich. This would be a detour of nearly 1,5 hours. Better is to travel from the airport to Freising train station by bus where you board the Munich - Passau train.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich to Passau to catch the river cruise

Got it. We will take the train direct from Munich city to Passau then. Thanks a million again. You are so helpful.

San Antonio, Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich to Passau to catch the river cruise

Abalada,

Wow, what a helpful and much appreciated post - thank you ever so much!!!!!

Nuremberg, Germany
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich to Passau to catch the river cruise

This is how it works:

You go to the central train station in Munich - Hauptbahnhof - find out what rail you leave from, usually 25 or 26, the trains leave every hour at 1:24, 2:24, and so on. You should be there about 20 minutes before the train leaves because that's how you find other people who will go to Passau. They will ask you if you are going to Passau so you can share a Bayern Ticket that is 5,80 €/person if it's five people. It's pretty easy to find a group of people to share the ticket, if they're German they will probably already have a ticket and you can just pay them and get on the train. From Monday-Friday you can't use this until 9 am but works all day on weekends.

If you will be travelling around in Munich you better buy your own Bayern Ticket as you can use all public trains, busses and tube with it. If you get this from a vending machine you have to make sure you get the right date on it as it only works the day that's on the ticket. If you buy it at the counter it will cost 31 € because they think if a real person sells it to you they will give you great information. You have to write your name on it and are not allowed to resell it or give it to someone else. The ticket is 29 € and you can be a group of five. You can use this inthe Munich area - e.g. to go to the train station - and then go to Passau with it and back to Munich.

You can try to find people to share your own ticket as I posted above.

www.bahn.de

8. Re: Munich to Passau to catch the river cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2013, 09:18