We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train station to Neuschwanstein Castle?

Carlisle...
Level Contributor
16 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Train station to Neuschwanstein Castle?

We are heading to Oktoberfest in the fall and are planning to spend a few days in Garmisch afterwards. We are thinking of taking the train to Fussen to tour the castles. Is there transportation, i.e. taxis, shuttles, etc. from the train station in Fussen to Neuschwanstein Castle? We took a bus tour from Munich last year, but would like to try it on our own this year.

Thanks

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train station to Neuschwanstein Castle?

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e

To: Fuessen

To: Hohenschwangau

From Füssen you can go by bus to Hohenschwangau. Bus stop is close to the ticket centre for the castles.

see map on bottom of this page

http://www.hohenschwangau.de/553.0.html

bus stop is marked as (H) on the map

Weatherford, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train station to Neuschwanstein Castle?

Abalada?

What is the railway stations name and address, please?

Mike

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,529 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train station to Neuschwanstein Castle?

"Füssen" or (in 7-bit Ascii) "Fuessen"

No idea what address this station has. From my experience if I take the train it will find the stations without knowing the exact address. Kind of miracle for sure.

homepage of the town Füssen

http://www.fuessen.de

Füssen map

tourismus-fuessen.de/fileadmin/…Stadtplan.pdf

Füssen town centre map

tourismus-fuessen.de/fileadmin/images/conten…

Bahnhof (the railway station) is in - big surprise - Bahnhofstr. Thus apart from the house number we have now the address of the station

Bahnhof Füssen

Bahnhofstr.

87629 Füssen

Please note that Neuschwanstein Castle itself is in the village Hohenschwangau, part of the community Schwangau. Not a part of the town Füssen.

http://www.schwangau.de/

Carlisle...
Level Contributor
16 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train station to Neuschwanstein Castle?

Thanks for the information. I greatly appreciate it.

Terry

monterey, ca
Level Contributor
25 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train station to Neuschwanstein Castle?

As someone already noted, you arrive in Hohenschwangau. As I can best recall, the Bahnhof is across the street from the main parking lot so it is approximately four to five city blocks to walk to the old family castle and Neuschwanstein is a hike up the hill unless you take a carriage up there.

Weatherford, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train station to Neuschwanstein Castle?

abladadada

My intent was to plot a course from the station to the hotel I will lodging. I assume I'll have to be satisfied with where the track ends on the Bahnhofstraße I obtained from google.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,529 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train station to Neuschwanstein Castle?

You can also use the Füssen maps I linked too.

The postal address must not be identical with the position you exit the station. There yould be easily a difference of 100-200 m. And another question is how correct these data are in Google.

Southeast
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train station to Neuschwanstein Castle?

I have a Eurorail Pass though I can't get Munich to Fussen pulled up. The service rep said there are quite a few trains going daily. So, I'm assuming that reservations aren't necessary on the train. Is that correct?

Southeast
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train station to Neuschwanstein Castle?

I have a Eurorail Pass and I have tried to get Fussen trains pulled up, but to no avail. Their service rep tells me that there are multiple daily trains between Fussen and Munich. Then, I am assuming that there is no need to make a reservation. Is that correct? Thanks.

Southeast
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train station to Neuschwanstein Castle?

planethockey.com/media/…20Fussen.pdf

I just found some really great train info regarding Fussen.

Get answers to your questions about Fussen