We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days in Fussen

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
27 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
How many days in Fussen

Hi everybody

We are going to spend Christmas in Tirol. After that we are thinking of staying in Fussen from 30/12/2009 to 3/1/2010. We want to have time to visit both castles and have new yaers eve there. Do you think it is a good idea or should we change our plan and stay in Fussen only for a couple of days?

Do you also have any suggestion for a one day trip from Fussen using public transport?

Thank you all

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days in Fussen

Fuessen is nice, but not 4 nights nice. You can do the castles in one day from Fuessen. Suggest a change of pace town. How about the Garmisch area?

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
512 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days in Fussen

Agree with prior post, day in Fussen maybe day and a half. Spend New Year's in Fussen then head over to Garmisch....Although I would rather spend NYE in Garmisch, personal preference. If you stay in Fussen I would do a day trip to Wieskirche, Oberammergau, Linderhof and Garmisch if time allows.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,190 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days in Fussen

Hi,

I agree with the others. Fuessen is nice but 2 (maybe 3 nights) is sufficient. Both castles can easily be seen in a day. If you had a reservation for the first tour, you could possibly be done by noon. Day trips... agree with Linderhof, Wieskirche although I'd "re-locate" to Mittenwald (I think Garmisch would be too similar to Fuessen) to see Ettal, Oberammergau and Garmisch.

Paul

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days in Fussen

I would second for Mittenwald- these frescoe painted houses are so elegant and since you will visit Fuessen you could skip Garmisch. I don't know however if there is any public transport for this route.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,219 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days in Fussen

Hi,

Yes, Mittenwald is a lovely place, a wonderful spot. But it's not wonderful for day-trip excursions to Oberammergau, Linderhof, Ettal, etc.

It IS wonderful for winter walking, ascending peaks by cable cars, horse-drawn carriage rides, an excursion to Innsbruck, and soaking up the Alpine atmosphere.

Have fun!

s

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,201 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days in Fussen

Füssen itself has a medieval castle in the town centre which is well worth a visit.

While in the area we also visited Kochel am See, Murnau and Bernried (Buchheim collection) for the Expressionist paintings.

7. Re: How many days in Fussen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2010, 05:18