We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bavarian Trip Quandary

Which Fussen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Topic
Bavarian Trip Quandary

Hi. Renting a car for my final four days in Bavaria out of Munich (part of a larger Austria and Bavaria trip, 16 days total, June/July 2014). Driving to Dachau then on to Rothenburg for two nights, one full day there. Then up early on 3rd day heading south (~2.5 hours) to Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau Castles and spending the night nearby in Füssen. Last day to Zugspitze, Ettal Monastery, and final dinner/drinks at Andechs Brewery, spending night nearby before heading to airport the following morning. My question is, and this because I google, should I spend 1 night in Rothenburg and 2 nights in Füssen instead? This means I leave Rothenburg late afternoon on 2nd day. I’ve just been finding more interesting things around Neuschwanstein to do and see (Castles, Füssen Altstadt, and up Tegelbergbahn for hiking/views). Is walking around Füssen redundant if I spend a day in Rothenberg? I feel like if I go north to Rothenberg, which is a little out of the way from everything else, one night won’t be enough. Thoughts? Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bavarian Trip Quandary

That's Rothenburg ODT to clarify...

Edited: 19 September 2013, 03:29
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
876 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bavarian Trip Quandary

We had a half day in Rothenburg ODT... easy small town to wander and have a meal.

2 nights not necessary though, allocate an extra day to Fuessen, the Tegelberg has great hiking (cablecar up and walk down) and there are walks around the lake/ lots of cycling paths,... its a nice town.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,674 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bavarian Trip Quandary

I agree - allocate your extra day the Fuessen. RobT is a neat town, but several hours is plenty IMO and you can Fuessen has more to offer.

For your last night where are you staying near Andechs? I'm just curious - collecting ideas for future trips :-)

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
10,947 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bavarian Trip Quandary

Don't bother with R o d T unless you do an overnight.

Boston...
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bavarian Trip Quandary

Well, as I said, it would be 2 nights in Rothenburg, or just one if I add the other night to Fussen. Still deciding if I want to do the night watchman tour or just spend the day wandering around the half-timbered houses and medieval walls, and then leave late afternoon for the trek down to Fussen before nightfall. I was thinking of making Rothenburg my primary souvenir stop for the entire trip.

@november_moon: I don't know where yet, but probably somewhere in walking distance as I expect to try the strong beer and don't want to worry about driving my last night before I head back to US. I was looking at this place, hotelzurpost-andechs.de‎ just down the road.

Boston...
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bavarian Trip Quandary

okiedoke, let me ask this question then, if I have a full day in Fussen:

I stay in Fussen or Schwangau for two nights, Hotel Alpenstuben looks nice, and arriving the night before from Rothenburg. How would I spend the day maximizing my views with the sun angle (if it's not cloudy of course). Should I go up the Tegelberg first, reserving tickets for the castles before, and get photos a top with the sun behind me from the east; I feel like in the afternoon, the sun is more in the way as you look towards Neuschwanstein/Hohenschwangau, but I could be wrong, I'm just judging from photos I see online. Then head back down and hike up to Marienbruke for the classic view of Neuschwanstein. Do the reserved tour around 2ish after a quick lunch, then walk to the lake and see Hohenschwangau before 5, getting the view of Neuschwanstein with the sun now behind me....maybe just skip Fussen Altstadt.

Is there a way to hike from the top of Tegelberg to Marienbruke? How many hours would that take? And if I do that, is there a way to get back to my rental car, which will probably be still parked at the Tegelbergbahn station after I see the castles. There's also some onion dome church in the area with Neuschwanstein in the background, but I don't know the name. Thanks!

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
10,947 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bavarian Trip Quandary

Walking with the nightwatchman does give you an insight that is, in my view, worthwhile.

If you'd like hotel recommendations, pls PM me.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,674 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bavarian Trip Quandary

There are also taxis and buses to the town of Herrsching (and others) in case your first hotel choice doesn't work out.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bavarian Trip Quandary

Here's the website for Fuessen. I think it's definitely worth a visit, and it has a nice pedestrian area in the old city. http://www.fuessen.de/en.html The nearby Wieskirche is worth a visit, too.

I've stayed at the zum Hechten in Fuessen and enjoyed it. http://www.hotel-hechten.com/en-index.html

Edited: 19 September 2013, 23:47
Boston...
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bavarian Trip Quandary

Thanks, all. I think I will spend 2 nights in Füssen and just 1 in Rothenburg. As I mentioned before, all I really want to do in Rothenburg is just walk around and soak in the atmosphere, take photos, walk the town walls, do the night watchman tour (previous night), see the half-timbered houses, and make it my primary souvenir stop for the trip. I can be up early and do the town from like 8-5ish and then head south to Fussen.

In Rothenburg, anyone know where I could get a good sauerbraten mit knödel? I have a list of Austrian and German cuisine I want to try and making Rothenburg my sauerbraten dinner. :-)