We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1.5 days in Fussen

Ireland
Level Contributor
651 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
1.5 days in Fussen

My plan for Fussen is to arrive in early afternoon and then spend time walking about the old town. Anything else in the locality (like a of the town tour?) that I could do?

For the full day I am going to see the castle. I plan to arrive there early to avoid the crowds. I booked my entry ticket from my hotel. what I'm not sure is whether they give it to me or whether I have to collect it at the castle.

Anyhow, what is the best way to get the most out of this area? Firstly, how do I get to the castle from Fussen? Secondly, what is the best way to see the casstle and is there anything else to be done once the castle is viewed?

Is the interior tour worth doing. I assume it would be daft to go and not look inside - I appreciate that interior photos are not permitted.

how long would this take and when could I expect to be back in Fussen town?

Is there anything intersting to do at night in Fussen?

Thanks.

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1.5 days in Fussen

Monkey, you can take the bus to the “castles” (because there is 2, very close to each other). They are actually in Schwangau, which is very close to Füssen, like 5km. So you could walk it, or even bike. But the bus is easy to figure out. When you go to the bus station (which is the back side of the train station), the bus you need will say “Castles”.

So there are 2 castles to see (Hohenschwangau and Schloss Neuschwanstein), the lake the Alpsee and also don’t forget to go to Marienbrücke (Mary’s Bridge). That is where most of the pictures you see of Schloss Neuschwanstein are taken from. It’s free. Also you can go across the Marienbrücke and keep hiking higher and higher. Most tourists don’t do this. They just cross the bridge, and get their picture and head back. But take a sack lunch with you and keep hiking up. There are some great pictures and views to be had. When you find a good spot, have lunch.

There is not a lot to do in Füssen at night. There is a fun place to eat called Gasthof Krone. Right in the center of the Altstadt. Check my reviews for a few things in Füssen.

Also here are my pictures if you care to see them. They are under the title of Füssen.

http://whitefamilyckmpr.shutterfly.com/#

Have a great time and PROST!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
967 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1.5 days in Fussen

If you keep walking as cardinal says, you can get to the Tegelberg station and then cable car down ( we did this in reverse so as to walk downhill!)

Fuessen is a nice town to walk, we wandered along the river, road was bordered by forest, very pretty.

Lake walk bound to stunning with its mountain backdrop.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,128 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1.5 days in Fussen

Here's the website for Fuessen, with lots of information. http://www.fuessen.de/en.html

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1.5 days in Fussen

As you booked an entry ticket with your hotel, you have paid for entry probably to Neuschwanstein Palace and perhaps to also Hohenschwangau Palace. Your tour will be at a specific time, and unless your hotel somehow actually possesses your ticket, you will have to pick it up at the ticket center on the main street of Hohenschwangau at least an hour before your scheduled tour. Note that a ticket is only necessary for entry to the palace, you're free to view either palace from the outside and walk around them without paying.

Ireland
Level Contributor
651 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1.5 days in Fussen

How much time out of a day would I have to allocate to this? Do I need to contact my hotel to see if the tour is at a set time? If not, what would be the best time to do it?

Thanks for so many informative replies. I forgot about Tegelberg and the cable car as well!

6. Re: 1.5 days in Fussen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 05:19