We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Other Great Villages Like Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

Which Rothenburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta
Level Contributor
258 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Any Other Great Villages Like Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

My teenager daughter fell in love with Rothenburg ob der Tauber last week and said she wished we had spent our entire vacation there (it included several days in Paris, Munich and Garmisch-Partenkirchen). For our next vacation I would love to find 2-3 similar type places in Europe to visit. I was thinking maybe Salzburg too.

We're looking for a nice sized village to spend 2-3 nights each where you can walk easily to all shopping and dining without hopping on metros or driving a car.

Any other places in Europe or Germany like this?

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Other Great Villages Like Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

It is not quite the same but many moderate sized towns have an old inner core (Altstadt) with tourist sights, shopping, restaurants, etc. that can easily be walked across. Salzburg is one. Others: Würzburg, Bamberg, Regensburg & Nürnberg in Bavaria. We liked Goslar in the north for the same reason. Trier on the Mosel and Mainz on the Rhine are easily handled by walking. These are just some that I have visited. Many others include Tübingen, Marburg, Limburg and Freiburg.

What you are requesting is fairly typical of Altstadts in Germany. It is also the some of the best of Germany to me.

Regards, Gary

netherlands
Level Contributor
672 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Other Great Villages Like Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

I like to add some 'similar' cities in the Netherlands:

Haarlem, Leiden, Delft, Alkmaar (on Fridays with its famous cheese market), Amersfoort, Maastricht and many more (smaller ones).

Or in Belgium: Brugge, Gent and Antwerpen.

Edited: 27 June 2010, 08:48
Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Other Great Villages Like Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

Brugge (Bruges) in Belgium might be a good stop for you. So are Gent and Antwerpes. Those places can be easily reached by train. You can also include Brussels and Amsterdam if you want to see bigger towns.

In northern Germany there are Lubeck and Luneburg. I also want to mention Visby (Sweden) and Tallinn (Estonia) if you want to travel to northern Europe.

And always consider Venice. It's expansive but also very nice and the ideal palce to just walk around and look.

Edited: 27 June 2010, 09:16
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,161 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Other Great Villages Like Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

Any of the towns along the wine route at the base of the Vosges Mountains in Alsace, France are excellent, and almost any would put a similar German town to shame. Just lovely old buildings and flowers and good wineries. Look at places between Oberoi and Eguisheim, and although there is nothing wrong with the towns which this road directly passes through, the main street being a highway detracts from them. Look at ones just off this route. Riquewhirr is probably the most visited of them by tourists, and even has a Kathe Wohlfahrt"s, although for this reason I personally prefer others better, like Ribeauville sitting below three castles where we spent an enjoyable few days several months ago.

You might also consider staying in Echternach, Luxembourg, where this town rents out modern apartments inexpensively by the week in the old medieval town wall towers which you will have an entire tower to yourself. Absolutely the best and most interesting accommodation I've had in Europe. Besides the sights of Luxembourg, Germany and Trier is across the river, and places in France, Belgium and the Netherlands are nearby.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
5,910 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Other Great Villages Like Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

Trikist's comments on the old town (altstadt) areas in Germany's smallish cities are on the mark. Many of them have been transformed into carless mini-villages within a city where you can wander around easily on foot, and his suggestions are good ones.

As for smaller towns, Rothenburg is unique. Its buildings and town walls have been marvelously preserved. But I would never wish to spend more than a day or two there. It's not just touristy - it's coompletely overrun with tourists and has been given over to tourism such that English is almost the language of choice. It's a bit Disneyesque, really. Fortunately there ar other small villages and towns, with marvelous old buildings, town walls, and towers, that retain more of their German character. Here are a few that I've enjoyed. Some are a bit touristy, others more "German".

Celle

Neustadt-an-der-Aisch

Eichstaett

Hannoversch Muenden

Hameln

Cochem

Boppard

Bacharach

Linz-am-Rhein

Michelstadt

Weissenburg

I would pick towns where you could stay for maybe 4-5 days and daytrip to other places of interest. Most of the above towns would probably work. Staying in Cochem, for example, makes trips to Trier, Luxembourg, or the Rhine villages a simple matter.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Other Great Villages Like Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

How about some of the villages along the Rhine? We stayed in tiny Bacharach and enjoyed it. Not a big as Rothenburg but combined with some of the other towns along the Rhine, you could put together a great trip.

Salzburg is wonderful. It's very compact and there is a wide array of things to see and so.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Other Great Villages Like Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

Bruges in Belgium and also Monschau (near Aachen) come pretty close , of which Monschau is rather small though, but very pleasant.

Edited: 28 June 2010, 07:39
atlanta
Level Contributor
258 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Other Great Villages Like Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have printed them all out so I'll have them when I start planning the next trip.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Other Great Villages Like Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

Venice certainly will fit your criteria spot on... avoid in july and august of possible... its too hot and sweaty...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any Other Great Villages Like Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

I would highly recommend Salzburg, it is a beautiful town. Obviously if you like the Sound of Music, look no further. There is a beautiful castle in the middle of the town which has a great little pub halfway up the hill with one of the best views in Salzburg. Salzburg is also the birth place of Mozart. I can't recommend the town high enough.