We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time to visit Rothenburg of der Tauber?

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
How much time to visit Rothenburg of der Tauber?

Will soon be vising Germany and will be spending a night in Rothenburg ob der Tauber. We plan to visit the sights and attractions in this town. I am curous, how much time does it take to explor the town, sights, shops, etc? Thanks!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
8,784 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time to visit Rothenburg of der Tauber?

I have been there only once but I'd say about half a day tops.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,048 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time to visit Rothenburg of der Tauber?

You should spend at least a half day.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time to visit Rothenburg of der Tauber?

Depends on you. We like a couple days there.

We enjoy the city museum, a bit of touristy shopping, the wall, the gardens with its views into the valley, some lesser seen corners of the town, the mandelhörnchen (my favorite pastry), the Gasthof Greifen Restaurant, two Riemenschneider altar pieces, etc. It is always our most touristy stop of the trip though our off-season travel means that it is not too crowded.

Regards, Gary

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,271 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time to visit Rothenburg of der Tauber?

Walking the walls takes a good while. Sitting outside with a wine/beer/coffee can take an hour.

Then, you can wander down by the old castle to "Unter den Linden" (riverside pub) down by the river and go around the base of the promontory to the double bridge,climbing up through the vineyard. a half day in itself.

Detwang - a pleasant stroll for half a day there and back has a marvellous altar/carving (Riemenschnieder). Museums in town? Eating?

I can't see how you can do the town justice in half a day.

OTOH we have Japanese tour buses that "do" England in two days (London, Stratford upon Avon and York). So on that basis....

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,282 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time to visit Rothenburg of der Tauber?

Be sure to take the Night Watchman's Tour! It meets at the town square, on the steps to the left of the square as you face the clock. It's really interesting. The time is approximately 8 p.m., but there should be a sign on the steps earlier in the day, to tell you the exact time for the English-language version.

Edited: 09 September 2011, 23:34
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time to visit Rothenburg of der Tauber?

I'd allow a day and a night. Highlights for us were the Nightwatchman Tour at 8pm., walking the wall afterwards and Tilman Riemanschneider's 500 yr. old wood carved masterpiece of an alter in St. Jacobs church. The Crime and Punishment Museum was interesting also, as is walking the town in the early am and evening/night. The town can be crowded during the day, but in the evening (after say 5pm after most tour buses have left), it's wonderful.

Paul

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much time to visit Rothenburg of der Tauber?

Make sure to visit and shop The Käthe Wohlfahrt Store. It is most unique!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much time to visit Rothenburg of der Tauber?

I would agree with one day and one night, it would be a lovely quiet atmosphere at night.

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much time to visit Rothenburg of der Tauber?

I agree - at least a day and a night. We had just over half a day there when touring in 2009 and it was nowhere near enought time to see, and enjoy, all this beautiful little town has to offer. We were frustrated at not seeing everything when we were there.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
181 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much time to visit Rothenburg of der Tauber?

Just got back from Rothenburg and would definitely say a whole day is needed. We arrived around noon and ran out of time. We did visit the Criminal's museum (what an interesting find), walked the city wall, and took in the sites including the Night Watchman's Tour - fabulous. The city with less tourists at night is a delight to stroll.

This was definitely one city in Germany where I felt we should have stayed longer. Enjoy!