We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rothenburg at Christmas

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
350 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Rothenburg at Christmas

Everyone says Rotheburg is a must for Christmas - seems every place we have checked is sold out and what is left looks less than where one would spend Christmas Eve for that magical experience. Any suggestions? Would we be better off visiting after Christmas instead for Christmas itself? Would there be any restaurants open on Christmas or Christmas Eve?

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,506 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rothenburg at Christmas

I did start to reply ealrier but decided not to.

Although R o d T has a Christmas shop, I've personally never heard anyone say that the town is good for the Christmas period. You obviously have, otherwise you wouldn't say "everyone!

It is a small place and although it is tourist oriented, I would not have expected anywhere much to be open on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, to be honest.

I have been there in very early January, when Christmas is in evidence in UK, but there was no sign in R o d T, I'm afraid.

There is certainly a Christmas market, but that's true of very many places.

Sorry to be a dampener, but it wouldn't be my choice for Christmas

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rothenburg at Christmas

Rothenburg is a very small town, they kind of fold up the sidewalks after the tourist busses are gone.

I can see it being a VERY silent night there.

You might rather like to stay in a historic, but a big larger city during the holidays. I.e. Heidelberg.

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rothenburg at Christmas

We were in Rothenburg last Dec. They have a small Christmas market near the city hall and church. It snowed one night and it really created a magic atmosphere. I don't know if I would go after Christmas - I would check to see if everything is open. We were in Bacharach after Christmas and half the town was shut down - including the tourist office!

Fareham, England...
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rothenburg at Christmas

Would sgree with above replies. A lovely old place to stay but would not say it was the best for Christmas markets. We stayed in Koblenz for a week last December as a base and would recommend the Rudesheim Market and Koln and Bonn Markets are easily reached as well. Look at the markets in the larger towns/cities and, yes, towns do tend to shut down after Christmas.

Rothenberg is worth a visit in February time-we've done this twice and it is quite magical in the snow. have fun!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
350 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rothenburg at Christmas

Thanks for the input - guess it's time to find a new place for Christmas - any other suggestions welcome!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rothenburg at Christmas

We have been struggling with the same decision and many of the places that really appealed to us (scenery, chance of snow and enough to keep us occupied knowing not everything will be open) were completely booked. I thought I was planning well in advance but we waited too late to get our first choices.

As of now we are flying to FRA on 22 December and heading to Erfurt for three nights.

On Christmas Day we leave and head for Dresden or Leipzig ( we have reservations at both) for three more nights. There should be enough open in either to offer some variety.

Then we finish with 4 nights in Berlin, our favorite city in Germany.

We plan on day trips from all base cities based on weather and schedules for public transport.

Edited: 14 August 2012, 19:14
Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rothenburg at Christmas

The Christmas Market season is before Christmas. We enjoy Rothenburg during this season. The market is small but there are plenty of shops, cafes and restaurants open. It is a scenic time in Rothenburg - snow or not.

…smugmug.com/Advent-2010/…15010043_Ck957T

…smugmug.com/Germany-2008/…6787052_jw7Xdk

After Christmas most everywhere is quiet.

We did spend one pleasant Christmas week in Salzburg. Even when the shops and restaurants are closed, you can enjoy the architecture and day trips to the countryside. I really enjoyed day trips to the Donau (Danube) Valley from Salzburg by car. Plus, the mountains are near enough to have a possibility to see snow.

Regards, Gary

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rothenburg at Christmas

Gary, we love Salzburg and have considered spending the holiday there as we also really enjoy the easily accessed countryside.

I am only hesitant due to the long trip to Berlin after our stay and cannot seem to find a logical overnight stop by train. Looked at Wurzburg and Bamberg for one night on the 27th to break up the long drive.

So torn as the picture in my head is definitely the Salzkammergut at the holiday!

Yardley...
Level Contributor
146 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rothenburg at Christmas

I have been to RODT several times in the Christmas season and it was really magical when it snowed. However everything in town except the Church closes down by noon on 24th and reopens on the 26th. My daughter and I arranged our schedule so as to be in Garmish on Christmas day and everything in the ski resort was open. Went to to top of Zugspitz and the Alps in winter are spectacular. In general all tourist sites are closed on those 2 days all over Germany ,and this trip to the site of the 1936 winter Olympics really was a memorable Christmas day.We did attend Christmas eve service in St Jacobs in Rothenburg and it too was memorable but very left early Christmas day for Garmish.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
146 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rothenburg at Christmas

Sorry, I forgot to tell you that my wife and I stayed during December 2010 at the Spitzweg in Rothenburg and it was really nice and a great bargain. Believe what you read on tripadvisor about this place. See if they have any openings. Enjoy your trip.