We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from UK to Rothenburg odT (camping/cheap hotels).

Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip from UK to Rothenburg odT (camping/cheap hotels).

We're looking at roughly a 12-14 day holiday last week of July (27th ish onwards) to end of first week August (around the 9th).

Myself, wife and 4 1/2 year old son. From Hereford, UK.

Proposing driving with tent in back of car, some camping where scenic / convenient, but open to cheap hotels where it makes sense to use them as a stopping point en-route. Just me driving (Although wife can in an emergency, but hasn't in a long while).

We like German castles and food, pretty scenery and things that a 4 1/2 year old boy would enjoy!

Don't want to spend a fortune, so budget of around £1000 or less (possibly not including food). Where hotels, talking cheap but reasonable (£50 to £60 a night or so for the room).

(Although I love Germany, I don't speak much at all unfortunately)

I'd love suggestions regarding places along the route that we should try to visit.

General waypoints are currently as follows (these are subject to revision):

Saturday - travel down to cheap hotel somewhere between Canterbury and Dover (stopover in hotel).

Sunday - Ferry crossing from Dover; Drive to cheap hotel near Bruhl / Cologne. Fit in some sightseeing somewhere along the way.

Monday - Phantasialand (went 10 or so years back and guessing our lad will love it). Stop at same hotel from night before.

Tuesay through Thursday travel via Rhine destinations (need advice where to visit / where to stop/camp towards Heidleberg. Camp Thursday night somewhere close to Heidleberg.

Friday - visit Heidleberg, then back to previous nights campsite.

Saturday - travel onward towards a campsite near Rothenburg odT.

Explore area (from a suitable location or two locations) through until Wednesday.

Suggestions requested!

Wednesday start heading back. May be too long a drive all the way to Brugge in one day?

Thursday would like to visit Brugge. Hotel Thursday night (possibly Wednesday night too)

Friday 09th - Ferry back from Calais (or Dunkerque) and drive back to Hereford. Considering the slightly more expensive ferry ticket that will allow us to return earlier or later depending on how it's gone!

I would VERY much appreciate any and all guidance / suggestions / recommendations.

Many thanks!

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
459 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from UK to Rothenburg odT (camping/cheap hotels).

Look at some of the journals at www.crazyguyonabike.com. Most of the cyclists camp and there is some good information on the site.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,691 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from UK to Rothenburg odT (camping/cheap hotels).

Have a look at www.viamichelin.com not only will it give routes but tourist sites,hotels and camp sites, then check the reviews on here or ask

Edited: 21 March 2013, 20:06
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,793 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from UK to Rothenburg odT (camping/cheap hotels).

"Friday - visit Heidelberg, then back to previous nights campsite."

Why return and then have to drive a lot the next day when you are most of the way to Rothenburg when at Heidelberg. This will allow you to stop and visit some places along the Castle Road. I heartily recommend Schwaebisch Hall ( www.schwaebischhall.de ) and nextdoor the unique (Gross)comburg Monastery (in www.schloesser-magazin.de/en ), actually a large medieval monastery and church within a large medieval castle. Vellberg ( www.vellberg.de only in German) has an excellent small completely walled oldtown with few tourists, an excellent contrast to Rothenburg ob der Tauber which will be full of tourist hordes.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
513 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from UK to Rothenburg odT (camping/cheap hotels).

Camping Heidelberg Schlierbacher Landstr. 151 D 69118 http://www.camping-heidelberg.de/english.php

Municipal camper parking lots P2 & P3 10 euro for 1 day in O T Rothenburg orCampingplatz Tauberromantik

Detwang 39 91541 Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Night Watchman tour on Walls in Rothenburg would probably be enjoyable for a lad.

FYI many campgrounds offer a cabin or mobilhome rental cheaper then hotels.

5. Re: Road trip from UK to Rothenburg odT (camping/cheap hotels).

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2014, 05:17