We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rothenburg to Fussen

Which Rothenburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Whitford, Auckland
Level Contributor
43 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Rothenburg to Fussen

I have one other contribution to the forum and am grateful for the advice so far.

We are flying in to Frankfurt and doing a quick trip as time is limited. We will drive to Rothenburg for the first night. Then can either stay two nights in Fussen or (my preference) drive half way and stay between overnight. Is there someone familiar with this area that can recommend an interesting stopover for us to break the trip? Somewhere approximately half way between Rothenburg and Fussen (we want to enjoy as much of this lovely area as possible in our short time here). Many thanks for your recommendations cheers Lyn (New Zealand)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,168 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rothenburg to Fussen

If you would like to stay in a medieval castle, check out www.burgkatzenstein.de which is about a third of the distance between Rothenburg and Fuessen. It may also be possible to participate in one of their enjoyable medieval dinners. The excellent abbey church at Nereysheim is nearby, as is the scenic Thurn and Taxis palace in Dischingen (interior not visitable).

If you take the autobahn between Rothenburg and Fuessen, it's worth stopping at Ulm ( www.ulm.de ) for the church with the world's tallest steeple (climbable if desired) and also at Ottobeuren ( www.ottobeuren.de ) for the abbey church which has what I consider to be the best church interior in Germany, just jam-packed full of more beautiful Baroque religious items than can be easily comprehended. This is a much quicker route than the Romantic Road, which isn't Romantic or scenic in itself, just some of the places along it which you won't have time to properly visit anyways.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rothenburg to Fussen

It's actually not that long a drive. I would probably stay the 2 nights in Fussen, which is a sweet place to stay and a good base. We visited Dinkelsbuhl on our way to Rothenburg and Nordlingen on our way from Rothenburg to Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

Love some of Marcopolko's suggestion, obviously we need to go back again, and soon!

Whitford, Auckland
Level Contributor
43 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rothenburg to Fussen

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Great information and will be of much help. I will email to see if accommodation available. Best Wishes from NZ

Whitford, Auckland
Level Contributor
43 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rothenburg to Fussen

Many thanks great information. Best wishes and thank you for your time. Cheers Lyn (NZ)

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Rothenburg to Fussen

Listen to marcopolko. He lived in that area for many years and knows every nook and cranny.

6. Re: Rothenburg to Fussen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 06:19