We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winery/Vineyard close to Rothenburg odT

Redmire
Level Contributor
13 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Winery/Vineyard close to Rothenburg odT

We are spending 2 nights in RodT at the end of September and was wondering if anyone could recommend a Vineyard/Winery that offers tours? We are taking parents (mid 70's), they are both fit and active. If not, other than spending all day in the town, could you recommend anything else that is a 'must see' close by? We have been to RodT a couple of times before, but only for a 1 night stay, so arrived late afternoon (on motorbike), shower, nice meal, bed, good breakfast, then off to our next night's stopover, so never actually spent any time there. Any help would be wonderful, thank you.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winery/Vineyard close to Rothenburg odT

Hi,

I haven't been on any specific wine tours, but this site may help you out with the Franconian wine region near Rothenburg:

http://en.franken-weinland.de/

And here's an interesting article about the region:

epicurean-traveler.com/articles/Franconia_Ga…

As far as "must see" close by, have you been to the Residenz in Wurzburg? Bamberg may be a little farther than you're willing to go from Rothenburg, but it's quite an interesting and historical city as well.

Zed

Redmire
Level Contributor
13 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winery/Vineyard close to Rothenburg odT

That's really helpful Zed...no we haven't visited Wurzburg Residenz and it looks fantastic, I guess maybe better than visiting a Winery. Thanks for your help, Lorri.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Winery/Vineyard close to Rothenburg odT

> no we haven't visited Wurzburg Residenz and it looks fantastic, I guess maybe better than visiting a Winery

You can combine both. Würzburg is a wine city. The cellars underneath the Residenz are used by Hofkeller winery, there are tours of the cellars and also tastings.

Hofkeller is good but there are two other historical wineries in the very centre of Würzburg which are rated even higher, those of the old hospitals, i. e. Juliusspital and Bürgerspital. Both have a restaurant and offer tastings. If you want to walk through a vineyard, take the longer walking route up to Marienberg castle.

I have written a bit about these options in here: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/14f6/

Edited: 08 September 2013, 18:27
4. Re: Winery/Vineyard close to Rothenburg odT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 05:17