We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice Needed: Bamberg or Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

Tennessee
Level Contributor
185 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Advice Needed: Bamberg or Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

(This message is also on the Nuremberg Forum and Bamberg Forum in hopes of getting more suggestions.)

Mike and I are getting off a riverboat cruise in Nuremberg on a Sunday morning in mid-late November. (The ship will have been in Nuremberg since Saturday morning & we will have been on a city tour on Saturday.) We will be flying to US from Nuremberg early Tuesday morning.

For the 2 nights & nearly 2 days between ship & airplane, we want to go to either Bamberg or Rothenberg using trains & spend 1 night in a local hotel. I am having a really hard time deciding between the 2 historic cities. In either case we will have most of Sunday, Sunday evening & most of Monday to walk around the city, Then Monday evening we have to take train back to Nuremberg and go to a hotel somewhat near the airport, as our flight will be leaving around 7 AM.

So, advice needed: Bamberg or Rothenburg? Hotel recommendations?

Mentioned in this post
Nuremberg
Nuremberg
Middle Franconia, Germany
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,676 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice Needed: Bamberg or Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

I'm not going to advise you. Please wait for the usual suspects to tell you that Rothenburg is horrible and a Disney set.

If you do decide to go to Rothenburg, pm me and I will recommend some good hotels inside the walls and accessible from railway ststion.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice Needed: Bamberg or Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

I visited both towns in July. Enjoyed both. But you cannot beat the walls, towers and architecture of Rothenburg. Sure you will be there with loads of other tourists, but wander down some side streets, enjoy a beer in an alleyway, walk the full perimeter of the wall. We needed a half day, but I would have been happy to have a few more hours. Ran into the tour groups occasionally, but it didnt spoil anything.

There are many delightful towns in this region, and we have previously visited many of them with family who refused to take us to RDT because it is too 'touristy' .... I enjoyed them all too, but managed to drag along a cousin this time to Rothenburg ( she lives in Nuremberg) and she was pleasantly surprised.

Mentioned in this post
Nuremberg
Nuremberg
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice Needed: Bamberg or Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

I enjoyed both but personally was a little underwhelmed by Bamberg. Loved Rothenburg! We were there a few days before Xmas and had no trouble keeping away from "touristy" stuff, in fact we never even saw a tour group! It is a gorgeous place and would be my choice, but I imagine many will disagree.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,205 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice Needed: Bamberg or Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

I like Bamberg but Rothenburg has the bigger Wow factor to me and I don't think it will be crowded with tourists in November.

Regarding hotels in Nuremberg, pick one in the city center as at that time of the day it is only a 15 minute cab ride to the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Nuremberg
Nuremberg
Tennessee
Level Contributor
185 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice Needed: Bamberg or Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

UPDATE: Air plans changed yesterday when I discovered that I could book flights for us using a LOW amount of Dividend Miles!!! Now we are flying in & out of Germany through Frankfurt -- into F on 12th and then we have 5 days+4 nights to get to Budapest where we board riverboat. Then off the boat in Nuremberg, but we have 24th + 25th to work our way back to F -- we can still get to Rothenberg & Bamberg, Thinking we might visit 1 of those 2 cities enroute to Budapest and the other city enroute to Frankfurt. Hope you get the general picture. Any other places you choose to recommend, we are wide open in plans at this point.

I have been studying Rome2Rio to check out transportation options here & there -- anyone have experience with this website OR have other suggestions. Maybe I should post this as a separate questions somewhere on Trip Advisor....

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Nuremberg
Nuremberg
6. Re: Advice Needed: Bamberg or Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2014, 06:20