We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friese Shop Review - As recommended by Rick Steves

Which Rothenburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington, Delaware
1 post
Save Topic
Friese Shop Review - As recommended by Rick Steves

My wife and I took a trip to Germany in June, 2013. Prior to the trip, we looked into some sights to see and suggestions for sights and shopping along our route. As part of our research we looked on the Rick Steve's website. Our first stop was going to be Rothenburg. I visited on a previous trip and it was wonderful to return. We walked around for quite a while visiting the various shops. Per Rick Steve's suggestion, we went into the Friese Shop. The shop itself is nice enough, smaller than other shops but still had a decent selection of clocks, ornaments, steins, etc. Rick had mentioned in his review of the store that it had a bigger selection than the other well known stores and better prices. While the prices seemed to be slightly lower than other stores, the selection was definitely not as extensive as other places in Rothenburg. Upon entry, the store owner greeted us in a friendly manner and immediately mentioned their "friend" Rick Steves and mentioned a discount because of him. We were interested in a Cuckoo Clock. We decided to purchase it from the Friese Shop due to Rick Steve's recommendation and the apparently friendly owners. They were nice enough and through in a free wooden ornament. We had it shipped back to the States. When we got it, we opened the package and found that the decorative wood on the face of the clock had broken. As it was shipped with insurance, we attempted to get that information from the Friese Shop. I called multiple times but no one answered, When I finally got through, they first hung up. When I called back immediately, I explained that I had a problem with a purchase. Upon hearing that, the woman told me the store was not open and to call back the next day. This seemed strange as the store was clearly open, and the hours confirmed that. To date, the owners of the Friese Shop have not returned any of my numerous emails or phone calls. I find their customer service to be very poor, and once you purchase something, it seems you are on your own. Looking back at it, the fact they mentioned Rick Steves numerous times while we were in the store and the limited selection of items, we should have moved on. Now, it has been months since we purchased it and have no hope of getting it repaired or replaced unless we pay for it. We are very dis-satisfied with our experience with the Friese Shop and suggest others patron it with caution.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Friese Shop Review - As recommended by Rick Steves

Beware of shops mentioned in guide books. They are rip offs most of the time.

Edited: 01 December 2013, 16:28
Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,592 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Friese Shop Review - As recommended by Rick Steves

Have you posted this on the Rick Steves Helpline or at least written to the Rick Steves organization? I am sure they would be very interested in hearing from you about this.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Friese Shop Review - As recommended by Rick Steves

I would be extremely leery of shopping in places recommended in guidebooks, they often sell inferior good at high prices to their "captive" audience. If a business is unethical, they might not have sent the actual clock you purchased but a duplicate already damaged one to get rid of it and defraud you and the insurance company into paying for a "predamaged" item. Also, they could send an undamaged clock, collect the insurance on it from you, and not actually insure the clock pocketing the money and expecting it to arrive undamaged. These might not be the actual cases, but a possibility. Definitely contact the Rick Steve's website and tell them your story. I personally think that if they recommend a place (and possibly get some sort of kickback) that they should assume some responsibility for your experience. At the very least, I would expect them to contact the shop on your behalf.

And when it comes to any actual insurance, you will also probably be gyped as they probably will reimburse you for the purchase price in Germany, not any transportation expense and possible increased value in the USA or replacing the actual undamaged item in your hands in the USA. Perhaps also you'll have to ship the clock back at great cost to you.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Friese Shop Review - As recommended by Rick Steves

Amen!

USA
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Friese Shop Review - As recommended by Rick Steves

Let Rick Steves know about your experience through his website. We once saw him taking a Munich pension owner to task for letting the place get run down. Steves was unhappy that he had recommended the place in his book a couple of years before and that it had since gone to pot a bit.

6. Re: Friese Shop Review - As recommended by Rick Steves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 05:17