We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt to Rothenburg + Nuremberg

New York
Level Contributor
611 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Frankfurt to Rothenburg + Nuremberg

We'll be visiting elderly relative in Frankfurt ( Gelnhausen) in May. And we 'd like to see Rothenburg and Nuremburg with her for 2 - 3 days. We plan to stay in Germany 10-12 days but this includes having to go as far north as Delmenhorst ( Bremen) for other relatives for 2 days. We will be renting car and driving on our own. We've been in Germany several times in past and always driven.

We love history,culture, art and architecture.......so Rothenburg's walled town from Middle Ages would be of great interest to us. Is Nuremburg worth a visit also? If not, what other town is close by for a 1 night visit?

How long is drive from Frankfurt to Rothenburg and from Rothenburg to Nuremburg? Any suggestions on accommodations, restaurants and sites, we must see? Preferto stay in historic places - e.g castles or places of historic relevance but with some basic modern comforts as our elderly relative uses a cane. No Four Seasons! No Marriotts, No Holiday Inns!

Thanks!

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,889 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frankfurt to Rothenburg + Nuremberg

If you are going to be in Gelnhausen, you could visit Büdingen, which is only about 15 minutes away. This is also a walled, medieval city, but unlike Rothenburg, was never bombed or burnt down in the 1600's. Here you will find a town filled with half-timbered buildings, a 13 sided palace, and some of the biggest guard towers around. What you won't find are tourist buses or souvenir stores. This is an authentic town, where life goes on, with people going to regular jobs instead of existing just for tourists. Have a look. Since you are a bit short on time, it would be much easier to go here.

buedingen.info/en/…old-town.html

www.buedingen.info/buchen/unterkuenfte.html

Near by is Burg Ronnefels, that might also be of interest to you too.

http://www.burg-ronneburg.de/cms/geschichte/

Gelnhausen itself, has a lot to see too.

gelnhausen.de/Sehenswuerdigkeiten.362.0.html

Edited: 21 January 2014, 03:59
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,638 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frankfurt to Rothenburg + Nuremberg

"We love history,culture, art and architecture.......so Rothenburg's walled town from Middle Ages would be of great interest to us. Is Nuremburg worth a visit also? If not, what other town is close by for a 1 night visit?"

Rothenburg is worthwhile but packed with tourists and trinkets.

Iphofen is a bit of a secret - a walled art/wine town near Würzburg on the route to Nuremberg, and though different from Rothenburg, a VERY nice alternative or additional stop; see photos:

stadtbild-deutschland.org/forum/index.php…

Nuremberg is an interesting city but I think Bamberg's old town area, a UNESCO World Heritage site, would be closer to what you seek.

…germany.travel/media/content/staedte___kult…

Castle Colmberg Hotel is not far from Rothenburg near Ansbach:

www.burg-colmberg.de/showpage.php…

New York
Level Contributor
611 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frankfurt to Rothenburg + Nuremberg

Thank you Bornheimgirl! Your info is most helpful. My husband's elderly cousin lives in Gelnhausen for past 25 yrs and we 've been there 3 times but never did she ever mention Beudungen. We've walked through Gelnhauesne and other historic towns in Germany. Your advice is much appreciated.

We will definitely follow up on your advice and perhaps leave out Rothenburg/Nuremburg. We work and live in NYC and have no desire to see crowds and tourists all over. Do you have any suggestions about travel/sites from Frankfurt to Delmenhorst ( where we have to see other elderly relatives for 2 days?) We 've driven and stayed along the Rhine before. This time we plan to stay in Auf Schonburg Castle in Oberwesel ( have only eaten there). Any suggestions for short stay or visit along the way from Gelnhausen to Delmenhorst ( nr Bremen) is most welcomed.

Thank you again!

New York
Level Contributor
611 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frankfurt to Rothenburg + Nuremberg

Hi Russ,

Think we are going to leave out Rothenburg/Nuremburg and check out Bamberg given you advice. And as i mentioned to Borneheimgirl earlier, we will also visit Beudingen ( 15 mins) from Gelnhausen and NOT touristy. Working//living in Manhattan we do NOT want to see more crowds, tourists and commercial shops on our vacations! Your advice is most helpful and appreciated.

Thanks again!

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,079 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frankfurt to Rothenburg + Nuremberg

go where you like- I have no problem with your choice. However your expectations of Rothenburg are somewhat ill-placed. Crowds, no. People in the streets, yes. And you'll find Bamberg fairly well fledged with tourists.

Edited: 22 January 2014, 16:07
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frankfurt to Rothenburg + Nuremberg

We visited Rothenburg on a sunny day last July. I expected it be be swamped with tourists, given what I had read here. We walked the walls, and barely came across another person. Lunched at a delightful outdoor eatery, beside one of the gates... Wandered through the many quiet little streets.

Only the 'main' street was very busy with tour groups. There seemed to be a circuit they do, so a bit of a crowd at one gate, then they get herded off to another site for next photo opportunity. So it quietens down quickly even at the popular spots.

Yes, it's reconstructed. Yes, many people visit.

But it is lovely.

(Bamberg is lovely, too, and also crowded, as it is also on a tour schedule.)

We have visited many little non touristy towns as well, as we have family and friends in Germany. Also lovely, and so well kept with flower boxes and central squares. I don't think you can go wrong, whatever you do, just don't miss Rothenburg if it is the crowd factor that puts you off.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,889 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Frankfurt to Rothenburg + Nuremberg

You all are missing the point. If they are only 15 min. away from Büdingen, which is a medieval walled town, that is just like Rothenburg, why should they spend all that extra time traveling to Rothenburg with an elderly family member? That makes no sense at all.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,213 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Frankfurt to Rothenburg + Nuremberg

Exactly this is the point, as Bornheimgirl said. Why travel for hours and hours if you have an equally good alternative at your doorstep. Just because of the famous name?

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,638 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Frankfurt to Rothenburg + Nuremberg

" Why travel for hours and hours if you have an equally good alternative at your doorstep. "

I believe the OP is traveling all those miles in part to see Nuremberg - plus maybe another town elsewhere as well.

Büdingen indeed is the perfect destination for someone staying in Gelnhausen; I suspect the OP can do an outing there in several hours and return to G'hausen. Franconia is a lovely place to explore if they have some extra time.

There are numerous differences between Rothenburg and Bamberg, Büdingen, and other places with old-world elements, but one major difference sticks way out. Rothenburg feeds almost solely on tourism. Bamberg, Nuremberg, and even Büdingen have a lot more going on.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,079 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Frankfurt to Rothenburg + Nuremberg

"You all are missing the point. If they are only 15 min. away from Büdingen, which is a medieval walled town, that is just like Rothenburg, why should they spend all that extra time traveling to Rothenburg with an elderly family member? That makes no sense at all."

Rubbish. I'm not missing the point. Their choice is fine. I said so. Explicitly.

However the stated reason for their choice is wrong: R o d T is NOT full of NYC type crowds.