We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from Frankfurt to Würzburg

Leuven
4 posts
Save Topic
travel from Frankfurt to Würzburg

Does anyone know how much the round trip costs from Frankfurt to Würzburg by rail? I intend to travel Aug 13 (W) -17 (Sun)? Thanks.

cmike@mail.com

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,890 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from Frankfurt to Würzburg

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Würzburg

There are discounted single and return tickets. Subject to availability. These specials are only valid for the booked connection.

Normal tickets are flexible and always available.

It will also depend if you travel alone or not. And if you want to use the fast trains or stick to regional trains.

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Leuven
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from Frankfurt to Würzburg

Thanks so much for your response.

How do I get discounted regional return tickets if I am travelling alone? or how do I check their availability for a particular dates?

I couldn't figure out what bahn 20 or bahn 50 cards are as opposed to no reduction tickets.

Or is there still other type(s) of tickets?

Mike

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,890 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from Frankfurt to Würzburg

> How do I get discounted regional return tickets if I am travelling alone?

There are discounted non-regional train return tickets (i.e. at least one train on the route must be an IC/EC or ICE train).

And there are regional tickets.

> or how do I check their availability for a particular dates?

For discounted return tickets the DB timetable will tell you.

For normal train tickets this plays no role, as these tickets are flexible and always available.

> I couldn't figure out what bahn 20 or bahn 50 cards are as opposed to no reduction tickets.

BahnCard 25/50/100 are discount cards valid one year. An offer for frequent travelers. Not really for tourists.

bahn.de/international/…bahncard.shtml

Leuven
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from Frankfurt to Würzburg

Thanks for that helpful info. m

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from Frankfurt to Würzburg

I do this trip every year. I made the mistake of going 1st class...one way cost me 45 Euros. On the way out of Wurzburg I booked 2nd class..price was 30 Euros...this was in November. Probably cheaper if you do roundtrip but did not know my schedule. I just bought the ticket after I landed.

Mentioned in this post
Wurzburg
Wurzburg
Lower Franconia, Germany
Leuven
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from Frankfurt to Würzburg

Thanks. That's also helpful.

London
Level Contributor
216 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel from Frankfurt to Würzburg

Compared to British trains the standard class on ICE trains is probably better than our first class (you don't get fed but they are clean, fast, comfortable and of course, on time!). If I can help it, I'll only travel first class on UK trains but am more than happy to travel standard on German trains.

8. Re: travel from Frankfurt to Würzburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 05:23
Get answers to your questions about Wurzburg
Recent Conversations