We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheapest way to get from FRA airport to Wurzburg

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
cheapest way to get from FRA airport to Wurzburg

Hello All,

is there a type of ticket that can cover one trip from Frankfurt airport to Wurzburg and then be a monthly ticket in Wurzburg local transport system? What is the cheapest option to get to Frankfurt few times a month from Wurzburg? I think these are two different lands, but is there an agreement between these railroad systems like in Cologne/Dusseldorf (they are also in different railroad systems, but there are some tickets valid for both cities)?

Also, if I purchased a test bahncard25 that is valid for 4 months, can I get a plastic one at any DB center if I give them my photo and passport?

Thanks

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,559 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cheapest way to get from FRA airport to Wurzburg

> I think these are two different lands, but is there an agreement between these railroad systems like in Cologne/Dusseldorf (they are also in different railroad systems, but there are some tickets valid for both cities)?

…wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_German_transport…

There are often agreements between bordering areas of local public transport associations like between the VRS (Cologne) and VRR (Düsseldorf). The RMV/traffiQ (Frankfurt) and vvm (Würzburg) are not bordering each other at all however.

> then be a monthly ticket in Wurzburg local transport system?

vvm-info.de/vvm/…monats_jahreskarten.jsp

Monthly ticket "vvm Mobil Standard" is EUR 40,10 for Würzburg. Plus a "Stammkarte" (a customer card) which is EUR 1,50 once.

> type of ticket that can cover one trip from Frankfurt airport to Wurzburg

1. a Rail&Fly ticket if you can get it from your airline (typically EUR 25)

2. travelling on regional trains EUR 27,10

3. travelling on regional trains using 2 tickets

a) RMV ticket to Kahl/Main (first stop in Bavaria) EUR 7,30

b) Bayern Ticket Single EUR 21,00

Bayern Ticket covers however the trams and buses in Würzburg for the rest of the day (till 3am next day). Thus the EUR 1,20 more will pay for.

> What is the cheapest option to get to Frankfurt few times a month from Wurzburg?

I fear Bayern Ticket is no option as it is on weekdays valid only past 9am. And the above option 3. works also only well for the Franfkurt to Würzburg direction, but not when starting in Würzburg as you cannot buy RMV tickets in Würzburg.

ICE with BahnCard 25 is EUR 24,75 (one way)

ICE with BahnCard 50 is EUR 16,50 (one way)

a monthly ticket covering all trains between Würzburg and Frankfurt is EUR 310,00.

a monthly ticket covering the regional trains between Würzburg and Frankfurt is EUR 264,50.

Probe BahnCard 25 is EUR 25,00

BahnCard is EUR 240 (EUR 122 if you're younger than 27y and student or if you are 60y or older)

With 8 and more trips Würzburg - Frankfurt return a BahnCard 50 pays for.

If you buy a ticket with a (any) BahnCard it will include the "City Ticket" for the destination city. I.e. equivalent to a single ticket local public transport at your destination city. Thus you can continue at your destination city using local public transport to your final destination. If you buy a return ticket also the trip back to the train station there is covered. This is however not a day ticket for local public transport at your destination city.

> can I get a plastic one at any DB center if I give them my photo and passport?

A photo is no more required for a BahnCard 25. At the counter you'll get only a provisional BahnCard. The real plastic BahnCard will be sent to your home address. Note that the Probe BahnCard offer is only available till 31. March 2012. Thus you have to buy it before this date with the 31. March 2012 being the latest first validity date possible.

Edited: 07 March 2012, 18:04
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheapest way to get from FRA airport to Wurzburg

Thanks abalada for your extensive reply (not for the first time!). I decided to buy a regular ticket with bahncard25 discount - as I have already bought that probe bahncard25 and it is printed. I decided so because I'm not really familiar with all that system and I'm afraid changing trains in Kahl and I always select wrong ticket at vending machine. And the price is about the same. I realize I'm losing my chance to use Wurzburg local transport till 9 am next day, but nevertheless.

The monthly tickets from Wurzburg to Frankfurt are pretty expensive ones, so I'd hold on buying them :)

As for regular monthly Wurzburg tiket that costs 41.5 euros, is it valid for any suburbs of Wurzburg town? Like can I go to Schweinfurt with it, for example? And can I buy that kind of ticket immediately at any DB office? Or only postage order available?

One more question re probe bahncard that I bought. Do they really send even probe bahncard (that can be printed out) to my postal address? The thing is that I don't live there anymore :) But anyway, did I understand right that even if I _have_ already bought and printed that probe bahncard, I can't get plastic at DB office in any way, right?

Do you work for DB, you seem to know all answers to public transportation in Germany :)

Thanks again!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,559 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: cheapest way to get from FRA airport to Wurzburg

> I'm afraid changing trains in Kahl and I always select wrong ticket at vending machine.

When travelling from Frankfurt to Würzburg you can buy both tickets needed for 3. in Frankfurt and can thus just stay seated in Kahl.

> The monthly tickets from Wurzburg to Frankfurt are pretty expensive ones, so I'd hold on buying them :)

These are tickets for (work)daily commuters.

> As for regular monthly Wurzburg tiket that costs 41.5 euros, is it valid for any suburbs of Wurzburg town?

Würzburg city is one fare zone. Included are thus suburbs of Würzburg like Heidingsfeld

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…BCrzburgs

> Like can I go to Schweinfurt with it, for example?

No. Schweinfurt is not a suburb of Würzburg. It is not even inside the vvm local public transport network at all.

vvm zone map and price table

vvm-info.de/vvm/media/files/haltestellenuebe…

> And can I buy that kind of ticket immediately at any DB office? Or only postage order available?

Neither. When buying first time you need to get a Stammkarte (SK) and according to the below page these are only available in Würzburg from the WVV-citypunkt, the WVV-Kundenzentrum and the Omnibusverkehr Franken GmbH. (WVV operates the trams and city buses in Würzburg for the vvm.)

vvm-info.de/vvm/…details_449.jsp

The monthly ticket "Mobil Standard" (WM) itself can be bought also from ticket machines.

> One more question re probe bahncard that I bought. Do they really send even probe bahncard (that can be printed out) to my postal address? The thing is that I don't live there anymore :)

They will. But you may contact them and give them your new address. Note that the BahnCard is a subscription and must be cancelled latest 6 weeks before the end of validity.

> But anyway, did I understand right that even if I _have_ already bought and printed that probe bahncard, I can't get plastic at DB office in any way, right?

True. The BahnCards are produced centrally and distributed directly from there.

> Do you work for DB, you seem to know all answers to public transportation in Germany :)

No. Nor I do I know all answers - just many.

Edited: 07 March 2012, 21:07
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheapest way to get from FRA airport to Wurzburg

Thank you abalada! I'll use your advise (as I'll have to go these routes often) - I'm in Wuerzburg now and didn't have much time to reply

5. Re: cheapest way to get from FRA airport to Wurzburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 15:15