We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Würzburg Spring 2012

Which Wurzburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Würzburg Spring 2012

Just a few remarks on a recent visit to Würzburg. It was the last week of March but unseasonably nice. My pictures with descriptions:

…smugmug.com/Germany2012-1/…22326493_vmxSxR

As the weather was so nice, I spent most of my time walking the river front and the green belt park that surrounds the town. Trees (inc. Japanese Cherry) were blooming. There were carpets of wild flowers in the park. It was over thirty-five years since I walked this park and it was definitely a "vacation" to be back.

I stayed at the Hotel St. Josef. It is a good basic hotel run by nice folks. They have closed their restaurant, sadly.

http://www.hotel-st-josef.de/

Regards, Gary

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Würzburg Spring 2012

Gary, great pictures! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
519 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Würzburg Spring 2012

Thanks for coming back to Germany and thanks for having been with us 35 years ago! What difference did 35 years make? Has Germany changed a lot? Just curious.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Würzburg Spring 2012

Aichberger,

Of course things have changed in 35 years, most of all, me.

I was in the army. I was first assigned to Landstuhl for 18 months, then to Würzburg. The people at my jobs were almost all Germans who had either served in the German armed forces in WWII or were younger teenagers during that war. Some had started working for Americans when there were prisoners of war.

Things were pretty formal then even among good friends. We ate dinner at each others' homes. We had casual evenings of drinking wine and talking about what was right and wrong with the world. Still I was always Captain McCarty and they were Herr Fischer, Herr Stemmler, Herr Geisendörfer, etc.

Somethings have not changed. My downstairs landlord in Queidersbach, near Landstuhl, had also been a WWII veteran, though probably in his 40's in WWII. He had been assigned to Würzburg. He was a Baumeister by trade. He remember how beautiful the buildings in Würzburg had been. He also remembered how beautiful the girls were. They still are.

Regards, Gary

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
519 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Würzburg Spring 2012

Gary, thanks for sharing that. 1970 was the year I started school, not in Würzburg, but in Ludwigsburg, another German town with a large US army population. When US trucks passed by, we - the school kids - made the V sign. We didn't know what it meant but as the US soldiers always replied with the same gesture and smiled, we liked it ... Best regards

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Würzburg Spring 2012

Herr Achberger. I enjoyed your reply to Trikist. He and I have been corresponding over the years because I, too, have a soft spot for Wuerzburg. I was born there.

I was a German Panzerschuetze during WWII, a prisoner of war of the Americans in Siegsdorf/Oberbayern and have been living now in the USA for almost 60 years. I married an American girl.

Next month, I will be visiting Germany and have been invited by the Buergermeister Amt and school officials in Siegsdorf to talk to students at the Mitelschule there. The subject will be my experiences when the war ended and life in prison camp.

It will be on the 67th anniversary of the signing of the German surrender documents, ending WWII for Germany. The title of my talk :" Es kommt oft anders als man denkt".

Edited: 08 April 2012, 17:28
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
519 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Würzburg Spring 2012

Herr Treplow, thank you too for your testimony. Very interesting discussion, albeit a bit off-topic. Maybe you should write a book, both of you, about those days. Anyway, welcome back!

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Würzburg Spring 2012

Henry,

I am glad that you brought up your experiences. I have often thought that it would be great if your writings were online. I have enjoyed them and thought that others would be interested as well. If you write up the remarks of your talk, I would enjoy reading them.

Aichberger,

As you probably know now, the "V" sign was for peace. Soldiers flashed them at kids in Vietnam and Germany. The kids would pick it up and do it themselves. It would happen when I drove home through the village of Bann on the way to Queidersbach. Older brothers and sisters would be embarrassed and would get try to stop the younger kids, usually without success.

I have wondered what those kids thought about it later in life. I was glad to hear from you about it.

Regards, Gary

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
519 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Würzburg Spring 2012

Gary/Henry this discussion is very interesting, but definitely off-topic. If you like, e-mail me under the address given on my website www.aichberger.de. Best regards

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
121 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Würzburg Spring 2012

Your photos are so pretty! Beautiful scenery n structures! I had some pretty dampening feedback abt wurzburg but after seeing ur pics, i m sure my choice is right!!

So looking forward to my trip to wurzburg! :D

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Würzburg Spring 2012

Nocturnalette,

Not everyone enjoys Würzburg but it is one of my favorite towns in Germany. It has many tourist sights and is a place where people live, work and go to school.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Gary