We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wonderful Private Guide for Wurtzburg and Rothenburg:Review

Indiana
Level Contributor
802 posts
443 reviews
Save Topic
Wonderful Private Guide for Wurtzburg and Rothenburg:Review

If you plan to visit Wurzburg or Rothenburg, I highly recommend you contact Mary (MaryWaltie@gmail.com) as a potential private guide.

My family of four went with a larger group to visit Wurzburg and Rorhenburg, as part of an extra excursion offered by a river cruise company. The other excursions from the boat were not so good and the tour guides terrible. As a family that usually hires private guides, we can tell the difference. Mary was an outstanding guide and someone I wish we would have hired for a private tour. She would rank in my book as an outstanding private guide.

First, she knows the history extremely well. She is an architect by trade, who teaches at a local university. She clearly knows how to explain and tell a story, which is what a private guide needs to do. She was entertaining and eager to determine how you were doing, so she could make adjustments accordingly. Her knowledge of both Wurtzburg and Rothenburg was impressive. The palace in Wurzburg has so many stories to tell visitors and it seemed Mary knew them all. When asked about any part of the main fresco, she was well versed in its meaning. As an architect, she was incredible at providing interesting facts about the entire palace. I enjoyed her details about the reconstruction of the mirrored room. As an American ex-pat, she was especially attuned to our needs and was able to respond to our questions perfectly. The same expertise applied to Rothenburg as well. Since both of these cities have both history and architecture, she seemed like the ideal guide. I highly recommend Mary for a private tour in this area. I am not sure what other areas she covers, but I suspect anything in this region would fall under her expertise. If you aren’t sure that she would be right for you, just contact her. Unfortunately, I was part of a group and do not know how much she charges. Thank you, Mary, for a wonderful day.

Salinas, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wonderful Private Guide for Wurtzburg and Rothenburg:Review

Hmmm...you've got me worried. We're booked with Viking for an October cruise with a stop at Wurzburg, and your poor opinion of your cruise line's guides has caused some concern. Can you tell me which company/boat you were traveling with? I'd appreciate knowing in advance that I may have to make my own arrangements, which is what I've done on all of our earlier trips, all of which have been car touring on our own.

Thank you for your suggestion re: Wurzburg...saves me research time in trying to find someone competent.

Dale

Indiana
Level Contributor
802 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wonderful Private Guide for Wurtzburg and Rothenburg:Review

We were on the Viking Sky.

This is a link to my review on the TripAdvisor sister site, Cruise Critic.

cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/…

Like you, we almost never use tour groups. We think for a few more dollars, private tours are the best. Our experience with Viking reminded me why we hire private guides. I highly recommend Mary as a private guide.

There was one huge advantage of the cruise … only unpacking once. Maybe a different cruise would have been better.

3. Re: Wonderful Private Guide for Wurtzburg and Rothenburg:Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 10:17