We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Fussen

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Fussen

My husband and I have 2 nights to visit Bavaria before we head to Munich for a few days. I was thinking we'd visit Rothenberg ob der tauber then head to Fussen but was unsure of where to stay that had a romantic feel. I've read that the wine country is more west than were traveling (we're trying to stay east of the A7 for the sake of driving time)

1. Is there anywhere romantic within 30 minutes or so of Rothenburg ?

2. And should we stay near Fussen for our second night, head closer to Munich, or cross over and stay in Austria ?

Ideally we're trying to have romantic beer/wine experience for those 2 nights.

Thanks for your help!!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,587 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Fussen

I don't see why you want to stay east of the A7 when what you really should care about is staying close by it as it is the fastest most convenient route between Rothenburg and Fuessen. I don't know about having a romantic beer/wine experience, but Rothenburg itself is a romantic place to stay as those day-trippers will have disappeared before the evening. Well-preserved Katzenstein Castle ( www.burgkatzenstein.de ) isn't too far away dating from the 1200s and they have rooms and also do medieval dinners. Besides the entertainment at these dinners, you should get free mead, beer and/or wine. Definitely something that I can heartily recommend.

I enjoy staying in Hohenschwangau ( www.hohenschwangau.de ) by Fuessen, where Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau Palaces are. You can have excellent close-up views of one or the other, or both, which are lit-up during the night from your room. We always prefer Villa Jägerhaus which we think is the nicest hotel there. The associated hotel across the road has very good dinners with lots of flaming dishes, and the dining room has good views of both palaces.

Along the A7 autobahn there are several excellent stops:

the Steiff Museum at Giengen who invented the teddy-bear;

Ulm which has the church with the tallest steeple in the world which you can climb if desired

Ottobeuren whose monastery church has what I consider to be the best interior of any German church, just jam-packed full of more beautiful Baroque religious items than can easily be comprehended.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Fussen

Thank you so much for your help!!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,402 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Fussen

> I've read that the wine country is more west than were traveling

The most and larger wine regions are indeed west of Rothenburg ob der Tauber. The northern part of the Romantic Road between Würzburg and Rothenburg ob der Tauber is however also a wine region.

along the river Main: Mainfranken

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…29

along the river Tauber: Tauberfranken

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baden_%28wine_region%29

www.weinland-taubertal.de/showpage.php…

Wine played in the history of Rothenburg ob der Tauber a big role - albeit today it is not an important wine growing community anymore.

1. Anything wrong with Rothenburg itself on this?

Bad Windsheim, Ansbach, Uffenheim, Colmberg Castle

…bad-windsheim.de/v01/…

www.ansbach.de/cda/showpage.php…

www.uffenheim.de/frame.php…

(the singe descriptions are in several languages)

www.burg-colmberg.de/showpage.php…

2. Hohenschwangau (very small), Schwangau, Füssen

http://www.schwangau.de/550.html

http://fuessen-en.ictourismus.de/

Edited: 27 April 2013, 20:36
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,326 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Fussen

If you want hotel recommendations for R o d T, pls send me a PM. Do, though, pls give me an idea of your budget!

5. Re: Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Fussen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2014, 06:18