We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rothenburg>Wurzburg>Frankfurt airport itinerary help

Which Wurzburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Rothenburg>Wurzburg>Frankfurt airport itinerary help

I'm working on itinerary for our final days in Europe. We depart from the Frankfurt airport at 2:00, 14:00, so thought we'd plan on arriving at the airport by about 10:30 to have a little leeway for train delays and to get a bite to eat before departure.

So, we need to stay somewhere less than about 2 hours of the airport so as not to feel too rushed that morning. A previous post had suggested Mainz, and our family had suggested we check into a hotel there and then take an afternoon trip to St. Goar. However, I have been reading a bit about Wurzburg and I think it looks like an even better option...an easy trip from Rothenburg, and there'd be more than enough picturesque and historic sightseeing to fill our last day, it appears to me. Then it looks like an easy trip to the airport, as well. Does this sound like a good plan?

If so, can anyone give me tips on how best to arrange our day? I've just taken my Germany guidebook back to the library! I'd love to see Veitshöchheim and have read about the boat tour that goes there. Would that be worth our while or would a bus be quicker transport, since we are short on time? Or should we just try to see the Residence Palace and the Fortress? If we only have time for one guided tour, which one should we tour?

Also, any suggestions on where to stay? I'm going to read reviews today, but suggestions on places convenient to the train station or convenient to sightseeing with easy transport to the train station would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
519 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rothenburg>Wurzburg>Frankfurt airport itinerary help

Würzburg as your last stop makes sense. As for accomodation you may want consider the Schloss Hotel Steinburg.

hrs.de/hotels/…schloss-steinburg-2851.html

I haven't stayed there, but been there (they have a restaurant too). From there you have a magnificent view on Würzburg.

Seems a bit pricey though.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rothenburg>Wurzburg>Frankfurt airport itinerary help

Hi,

Two places that should be high on your list to see in Wurzburg are the Festung Marienberg and the Residenz, a UNESCO World Heritage site.

wuerzburg.de/en/visitors/must-sees/22689.Fes…

wuerzburg.de/en/visitors/must-sees/22688.UNE…

When I stay in Wurzburg, I stay at the Post Hotel, mainly because it's about 1 km from my relatives' home and is very convenient for me.

It's a nice hotel in a rather nondescript area, and it has a restaurant if you want to dine in. Immediately across the street is a tram stop and the tram will take you to the Wurzburg train station in about 20-25 minutes as I recall (from the Andreas-Geisser-Str. stop).

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187321-d280505…

www.urbanrail.net/eu/de/wue/wuerzburg.htm

Enjoy your visit.

Zed

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rothenburg>Wurzburg>Frankfurt airport itinerary help

Würzburg would be a good place to stay on your last day, yes. Choosing the train that gets to the airport at around 10:30 was a good idea.

I've lived in Würzburg for a few years and when we had visitors, we would always take them to the Residence. Be sure to also check out the small garden behind it.

Yes, there is a boat to Veitshöchheim but it takes some time, so I wouldn't do it if I only had one day.

If you really want to see the palace in Veitshöchheim, go by bus or train. The train takes around 10 minutes, the bus 20 mins. I can give you more info on how to get there, if you really want to go there.

But in general, if you only have one day, I think you should stay in Würzburg, there is definitely enough to see for one day. If you want to go the Fortress (which is also nice), you can take the bus number 9 from the Residence, which will take you directly up to the Fortress. (9 bus doesn't operate in late fall and winter)

As for the recommended hotels in this topic.

Streinburg has a good reputation but it is very pricy.

I have heard about the Post hotel and it seems to be nice.

Both hotels are in the outer districts of Würzburg. A 20 minute tram ride to the city center is comparably long for a city this size.

Steinburg doesn't have any public transportation at all.

They also opened a new hotel called "Ghotel" it's around 15 minutes walking distance from the train station and city center. Or 1 tram stop to the station and 2-3 to the city center.

Don't know this hotel though, as it's rather new, but it's close to the city and the station.

If you need any more detailed information, feel free to ask.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 01:00
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rothenburg>Wurzburg>Frankfurt airport itinerary help

Thank you all for the suggestions. We want something that's not too pricey and not to far from the train station, so I'll check out Ghotel and read some more reviews. We've been enjoying looking at all the small, family run hotels along our route, but since we head to the airport the following morning, convenience might be most important this time.

So how far is the historic district from the train station? I'll have to look up a map!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rothenburg>Wurzburg>Frankfurt airport itinerary help

<So how far is the historic district from the train station? I'll have to look up a map!>

Not far it all. It's just a short stroll from the train station. You might also want to check out the old bridge called "Alte Mainbrücke", which is on the other side of the pedestrian area. Probably like 15 minutes walking from the station. While you should get a real map, Google Maps will help you to get a rough overview of the distances for planning purposes. Würzburg is a rather small city so within the historic distance everything is pretty much in walking distance.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 09:47
California
Level Contributor
297 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rothenburg>Wurzburg>Frankfurt airport itinerary help

I did the opposite a few years ago when we arrived in Germany. We did a stop at Wurzburg coming from the airport on the way to Rothenburg. Easy drive and doing only half will be even better.

7. Re: Rothenburg>Wurzburg>Frankfurt airport itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 05:18