We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt to Wurzburg & Rothenburg

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Frankfurt to Wurzburg & Rothenburg

I am planning to fly into Frankfurt from Paris.

Day1 arriving at Frankfurt A/P 11:00am

Day2 free

Day3 be at Frankfurt A/P 10:50am (leaving at 12:50pm)

I have only one and half day.

Is it possible to visit both Wurzburg & Rothenburg?

Where should I stay and should I take a train from Frankfurt or rent a car?

I heard it is not convenient to go to Rothenburg from Wurzburg.

If anybody has good advice, I will appreciate it.

Thank you.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frankfurt to Wurzburg & Rothenburg

You could visit both places in a day and a half. But, either place would fill a that same time as well for me.

For Trains:

http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Wuerzburg

To: Rothenburg ob der Tauber

etc.

It takes about 80 minutes by train from Wuerzburg to Rothenburg with a change in Steinach. We made the same trip this spring with no problem.

Wuerzburg is my favorite city in Germany as I lived there for a couple years, but Rothenburg probably has a bigger wow factor. You can hardly go wrong with either or both. If you go to both, it might be better to visit Wuerzburg on the first day and then spend the night in Rothenburg as it's best is in the evening and morning when the tourism has backed off a bit.

As you are mainly visiting towns, as opposed to the countryside,I would find a car to be a liability compared to the train system.

Regards, Gary

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frankfurt to Wurzburg & Rothenburg

I consider Rothenburg more of a tourist destination...but very nice nonetheless. You will see cars and buses parked outside and you enter thru gates. Wurzburg is more of a functioning city...pop about 130,000....I have gone to Wurzburg every fall for the last 3 years and love it....the vinyards, castle, Residence, resturants, great wines...both are quite different from each other. My friends have driven me from Wurzburg to Rothenburg but I can't remember how long it took. Take the train from Frankfurt...very convient and it leaves from right inside the airport. I like the Hotel Am Congress right in the heart of town...you can walk everywhere...I think I paid 80 dollars last time including a very good buffet breakfast..this is in Wurzburg. I may be doing the same thing as you in November...flying from Paris...what airline are you using and what time does it leave Paris...GDG or Orly???

germany
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Frankfurt to Wurzburg & Rothenburg

Hi,

I am a wurzburg native, I was born in wurzburg. From Frankfurt to wurzburg you could go by train. There is a frequently connection at day time, but not after midnight! From Wurzburg to Rothenburg it needs 40 minutes by car.

I recommend you to rent a car in frankfurt. Because its more expensice to go by train to wurzburg and to rothenburg. The way from Frankfurt to Wurzburg is easy on the highway, also the highway to rothenburg, be sure its convenient by car (not by train). Keep in mind, the train is expensive in germany!

In rothenburg are plenty carparking places for small money. Keep in mind, Rothenburg is a tourist attraction. primarily for US and canadian visitors. You could buy high expensive souvenirs. The most attractive scene is the city wall an the old town.

You should stay in wurzburg, because there are a lot of tourist attractions like the famous Residenz, Festung Marienberg, Museums and much more. In the evening you have a lot of restaurants and bars. There is nothing in rothenburg, in the evening the tourists leave the town. On your way back to wurzburg you have a lot of little typical franconian villages with old buildings. You could see this attractions if you dont use the highway. There is a plenty mainstreet (Bundesstrasse) who pass through this villages. You will see lots of citywalls. The way is easy an good signposted. Good City hotel rooms start at a rate of 80 Euro.

See also http://www.wuerzburg.de/hotels/

For further information about wurzburg see http://www.wuerzburg.de

Budget hotels starts at a rate of 50 Euro in the industrial zone to 60 Euros in residential zone.

Welcome in wurzburg, have a lot of fun

tsv1860munich

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,380 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Frankfurt to Wurzburg & Rothenburg

Würzburg center to Rothenburg by car will be approx. 50 min.

Train is 60-70 min. incl. one change. That's really OK.

In Rothenburg it's always a short walk either from the parking places or the station to the walled old town. Parking in Rothenburg is OK, the places near the old town have a small fee.

Würzburg is less fun by car. I'm quite often there and often need 10-15 min to find a free place for my car.

With your itinerary you can buy one return ticket Frankfurt - Rothenburg and return.

with ICE Frankfurt - Würzburg: EUR 80,00

with IC/EC Frankfurt - Würzburg: EUR 72,00

You have to make the journey in one direction in 2 days. Stopovers (= Würzburg) are allowed. Thus no problem with your 3 days itinerary for both directions.

Traffic between Franfkurt and Würzburg on the autobahn is quite dense and there are often traffic jams. And even without you'll need more time than the direct trains.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frankfurt to Wurzburg & Rothenburg

Hello, everybody, Thank you so much for your good advice! I will research the price of rent a car and decide what to do. I might post new questions when I have more. See you.

6. Re: Frankfurt to Wurzburg & Rothenburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 10:24