We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Army Base

Which Wurzburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Crown Point, Indiana
Level Contributor
182 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Army Base

Am wondering if anyone is aware of an army base in the Wuerzburg area. My family is planning on taking my 80 year old father back to where he was stationed during WWII. He's always wanted to return to the area. Is it still there and open to visitors? Any info is appreciated.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Army Base

Try googling "1st Infantry division Wurzburg Germany" It will bring up some sites about US military stuff in that area. Don't know if it is what you are after but it might help. Hope you find out what you need to take him there. Good luck

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,574 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Army Base

There was not just one base.

usarmygermany.com/USAREUR_City_Wuerzburg.htm

Many of these installations are closed in the mean time. Converted to whatever. As these areas are no more fenced it's no problem to visit them.

Something else with the ones still in use.

To my knowledge these are:

- Leighton Barracks

- Faulenberg Kaserne (will be closed in 2007).

- Wuerzburg General Hospital

- Wuerzburg Training Areas

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Army Base

I was also stationed in Würzburg in the 1970's, at the hospital. We visited the city this spring and walked up to the hospital and Leighton Barracks. There was a fence and guard at the hospital, which was not true during my tour. At Leighton Barracks they had moved the main gate and added fencing. I would email someone before I would assume that you could get in. Very possibly, someone would issue you a pass if they knew the purpose.

On the other side, Würzburg gets more beautiful every year. We visited Würzburg this spring and, it is still my favorite city in Germany. We are going back this coming summer with our turning-adult kids. There is much about the area that your father is likely to remember with pleasure.

Regards, Gary

Florida
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Army Base

When was he there? My Dad was also stationed there in 1955.

Lompoc, California
Level Contributor
354 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Army Base

You may find the following link interesting

http://www.thirdreichruins.com/wuerzburg.htm

The gentleman who operates the website has posted numerous pictures of areas pre and post WWII of different areas where his father served-- this is one. There are numerous pictures of the US Army crossing the river, some of the barracks they occupied, etc. Your father may find something of interest here.

Crown Point, Indiana
Level Contributor
182 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Army Base

Thanks for all the helpful info. Computer down and haven't been able to check in ages. FL gal, my dad served in 1950.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Army Base

Wurzburg is indeed a beautiful city. We lived there for four years and I was sorry to go.

Other places to see in the area:

For small town German feel-

Retzbach and Zellingen.

Old world-

Rothenburg oder Tauber (The walled city)

Germany
Level Contributor
103 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Army Base

Leighton Barracks Wuerzburg is still open. It is scheduled to close Sept. 2008. You should be able to be signed on with a US passport, but you might want to have your father bring any military ID he has with him as collateral. There is a museum on base that your father will probably find interesting, and the museum proprietor will find your father interesting. I believe it is still open. There are two entrances to the base. Perhaps try to contact the museum via the internet.

Giebelstadt base closed last year. The airfield is still there, but I don't know what it's being used for, if anything. I would imagine you could drive into that area without a problem. It's 30 minutes outside of Wuerzburg.

If Fallenburg isn't closed yet, it's about to be. Getting on is the same deal as with Leighton Barracks.

Kitzingen's base has closed. You should be able to drive on the former base, but I'm not certain.

Schweinfurt base is operating. Same procedure as with Leighton.

The hospital near Leighton is now a clinic. Perhaps your passport will get you on.

Tomar, Portugal
Level Contributor
115 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Army Base

During our recent visit to Wurzburg we met a musician who was also an art teacher at the base - so it's still there but he also mentioned that it would probably be closing in the next year or so.

If you do go and want to stay in Wurzburg, I'd recommend the Hotel Alter Kranen - it has an elevator and it's well located (see my review under hotels).

Monterey, CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Army Base

We have a condo in Wurzburg, and it is indeed a beautiful city. As for military stuff, we were there in late June, and even the PX was on a reduced schedule. We were told that everything will close there in summer 08. I think the museum mentioned by someone has closed, too.

But it is still a lovely city to visit.