We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin - first time

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
213 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Berlin - first time

Hi people,

I will visit Berlin in September 11-15. Tripadvisor community always helped me a lot before I traveled in the past, so I hope you can do the same by giving me advices, what to see, where to go :) Just to say that I am not that into art and galleries. I would rather visit tech museum or zoo.

Edited: 09 August 2017, 15:59
Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
14 replies to this topic
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
806 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin - first time

What made you decide to want to visit Berlin?

How do you commit to a 4 day trip and have no idea of what you want to do ?

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
36,791 posts
599 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berlin - first time

" I would rather visit tech museum or zoo."

Ok that is fine you have at least 2 days of activities. What do you plan on doing the other days?

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
213 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berlin - first time

Guess I was not clear. Since Berlin has a lot to offer I was hoping for help to get the list shorter since as you say, I would be in Berlin only for 4 days. I saw all possible locations here also on other various travel blogs, sites. For example a lot of people say to visit TV tower, on the other hand a lot of people say it can get very crowded and it would be better to do something else. As for Tech museum or ZOO, well I wanted to give insight into what I am interested in so people could give me advice about attractions, landmarks etc.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,430 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berlin - first time

Look at the 'things to do' tab in the green bar at the top of this page - select 8-10 things that you'd like to do and post that list here. Once people have an idea of the kinds of other things that interest you someone will be able to help you sort them into a workable itinerary.

Don't forget to leave time just to 'be' in Berlin and soak up the atmosphere,

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
5. Re: Berlin - first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 August 2017, 00:05

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
213 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Berlin - first time

Really, its strange when someone asks for advice, proposal, what to see. I mean there are:

- 270 sites and landmarks

- 213 museums

- 59 nature and parks

and much more to see in Berlin. Its not about someone else doing my research. Its about talking to people who have been in Berlin and could give an useful info. I travel as much as I can. I been to Athens, Oslo, Rome, Istanbul, Prague...and always talked with people on Tripadvisor, because their advice helped me so much. Using public transport, visiting certain landmark, buying different types of passes. For example I would like to hear advice regarding Spy Museum or Checkpoint Charlie museum. Should I buy ticket for TV tower several days prior to the visit, for what part of the day etc. Things like that. If you still dont understand what I am trying to say, guess it back to english course for me.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Checkpoint Charlie
Checkpoint Charlie
10,328 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,840 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Berlin - first time

I've asked for post 5 to be removed, as "harassment/personal attack".

There was no call for that, travelguyfromflorida.

TheEnt, if you like zoos, there are two in Berlin: the one that everyone knows about, and the Tierpark. The Tierpark is much bigger and much more interesting, and I think you'd enjoy it.

https://www.tierpark-berlin.de/en

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Tierpark
Tierpark
723 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
213 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Berlin - first time

Did my home work :) so I would like to hear from people is it possible to do all of the things on the list in the given time span:

Day first - Parliament building, Check Point Charlie, Berlin Wall, Brandenburg gate, Victory Column, Memorial to Soviet soldiers.

Day two - Tierpark, Aqvarium, Zoo or Botanical garden.

Day three - Museum Island, Technics museum, Spectrum science center, Bundeswehr military museum.

Day four - free for proposals

I decided to cut Berlin TV tower because it looks like it could be a long time to enter.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Brandenburg Gate
Brandenburg Gate
38,230 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Tierpark
Tierpark
723 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Berlin TV Tower
Berlin TV Tower
8,297 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,840 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Berlin - first time

Day 1. This is probably too much for one day - but it depends on a couple of things.

If by "Berlin Wall" you mean the Berlin Wall Memorial, which is by far the best place to see what the wall was actually like, and to learn something about it, you'll need at least two hours for it.

If you want to visit the Bundestag, you have to book in advance.

https:/…245686

If you want to climb the Victory Tower, you'll need a good bit of time for that, too.

There are two Memorials to Soviet soldiers - one opposite the Tiergarten, the other in Treptower Park. The latter takes longer to get to (a longish walk from the station) and longer to see, but is much more impressive.

Day 2. You'll have to choose between the Tierpark and the Botanical Garden. The Tierpark is some distance from the centre, in the east: about half an hour from Alexanderplatz. And it is huge. You'll need a good, long half day for it. If you want to see the Aquarium, that is next to the Berlin Zoo. But the Tierpark, as I said earlier, is a more interesting zoo - and there is also the lovely Friedrichsfelde Castle to see in the park.

The Botanical Gardens are also huge and need time: there's not much point in going if you haven't enough time to walk around at a leisurely pace, and enjoy it.

Day 3. I think the three museums will be enough for one day, without adding the Museum Island. Maybe explore the Island on Day 4?

Re the TV Tower, if it was the view you were interested in, there are other places for great views of Berlin: the Reichstag Dome if you go there, the Berliner Dom, and the Panoramapunkt at Potsdamer Platz.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Treptower Park
Treptower Park
1,801 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Tierpark
Tierpark
723 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Alexanderplatz
Alexanderplatz
3,808 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Berlin TV Tower
Berlin TV Tower
8,297 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Reichstag Dome Restaurant and Cafe
Reichstag Dome...
112 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Berlin Cathedral
Berlin Cathedral
8,417 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Panoramapunkt
Panoramapunkt
727 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Potsdamer Platz
Potsdamer Platz
4,424 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
213 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Berlin - first time

Thanks I also thought its bit crowded on the list. I will see to leave something for the day 4.

Reply to: Berlin - first time
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted