We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from Munich to Berlin-Mitte area - confusion

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
497 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
train from Munich to Berlin-Mitte area - confusion

Hi, I am trying to reserve a train on 9/18 from Munich to Berlin on the www.bahn.de website....hoping to arrive around noon.

I put in my addresses as it asks for but then there seems to be so many options and it wants me to choose one of them. I have no idea what to choose. Can someone help me? I would be so grateful!

Here are the start and end addresses:

Start: Hirschbergstraße 16, Munich

End: Rochstraße 3, Berlin (this is near Alexanderplatz in Berlin-Mitte....but there are so many options for Alexanderplatz even. Some say U.Some say S. Some seem to say both.)

I just don't want to pick the wrong one and end up who knows where!

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Alexanderplatz
Alexanderplatz
3,805 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Hotel Berlin Mitte by Campanile
Hotel Berlin Mitte by...
240 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
11 replies to this topic
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from Munich to Berlin-Mitte area - confusion

It's best to enter the actual train stations rather than addresses.

Enter the following on www.bahn.com

To: Berlin Alexanderplatz

(Ü = ue NOT u - or copy paste what I wrote)

When entering the exact address and street names you may get dozens of results because it lists every single bus stop with that name etc....

Alexanderplatz station with S and U indicators are the U-Bahn station / S-Bahn platform of Alexanderplatz station. It's basically all the same "station". Entering just the station name will be the "regular" train station for regional trains, but S-Bahn trains would also be displayed.

Your ticket will include the S-Bahn from Donnersbergerbr. to the central station in Munich (Hbf) as well as regional trains or S-Bahn trains from Berlin Hbf to Alexanderplatz.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Alexanderplatz
Alexanderplatz
3,805 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: train from Munich to Berlin-Mitte area - confusion

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Berlin - Mitte, Rochstraße 3

If you query by address DB timetable will show you the fastest connection by public transport. No matter if they will be covered by the train ticket or not (like city buses, trams or U-Bahn (metro)). The station/stops if querying between addresses are thus never wrong (DB timetable shows you also a simple map for the part you have to walk). At max the journey will not be fully covered by a train ticket. For ensure this you have to query between train stations.

You can walk from the given address in Munich to the S-Bahn station Donnersbergbrücke (800 m) and travel to Berlin Alexanderplatz train station.

To: Berlin Alexanderplatz

DB has on some things a pretty railway technical viewpoint. Tracks 1+2 there for regional trains are "Berlin Alexanderplatz". Tracks 3+4 for S-Bahn trains are shown as "Berlin Alexanderplatz (S)". Reason is that the Berlin S-Bahn uses for historical reasons a different power supply system (side rail DC) than other trains (overhead wire AC). And thus from an operational point of view the S-Bahn tracks there are a different part of the same train station - thus the add-on in brackets. For you as a traveler this is has no relevance at all and is only confusing. The layout of Alexanderplatz station with just 4 tracks as such is really simple

bahnhof.de/contentblob/…data.jpg

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Berlin Mitte by Campanile
Hotel Berlin Mitte by...
240 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Alexanderplatz
Alexanderplatz
3,805 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
497 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from Munich to Berlin-Mitte area - confusion

Thank you!! Is there a way to tell if it's a U or S-bahn train just by looking at them? Also, can you tell me what "tief" means? For instance, when I pull up the detail of this schedule I am viewing, it says the following:

Berlin hbf (tief) arr 12:30

walk 9 min

Berlin hbf (S-bahn) dep 12:41 Platform 15 S3

I don't think I will know what to do at this part and even if I do, I'm scared I can't arrive there in 11 minutes if it's saying it's a 9 min walk. Will be a close call if I make it with my big ole luggage. I am certain that I will probably be walking around confused-looking :) If I happen to miss this connection, can I just get on another train pretty soon after? Thank you so much for your assistance!

Edited: 17 August 2017, 00:41
Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,361 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: train from Munich to Berlin-Mitte area - confusion

tief = deep = the underground part of Berlin Hbf

(as above an operational different part of the station shows up in brackets)

Your ticket will be good for any train from Berlin Hbf to Berlin Alexanderplatz. The timetable gives you just the next possible option.

Just follow the track number signs or the green S-Bahn logo. You can take any S-Bahn train departing from track 15. There will be a train every 2-3 minutes.

In case your IC train to Berlin arrives at tracks 3-6 you can take there are a direct lift (the last one in driving direction of the IC train) directly up to platform 15+16.

If you arrive at platform 1+2 or 7+8 you have to change between lifts at one of the intermediate levels of the train station. Tracks 1-8 are at the lowest level (tief), tracks 10-16 at the most upper level.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Alexanderplatz
Alexanderplatz
3,805 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,361 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: train from Munich to Berlin-Mitte area - confusion

Currently you cannot travel by U-Bahn (metro) from Berlin Hbf to a stop close to your destination in Berlin at all. Only in a few years when the extension of the U5 will open. But for now you would have to change somewhere else in Berlin for the U-Bahn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_S-Bahn (red-beige) (the "train avatar" of Tripadvisor is by the way a Berlin S-Bahn train at Berlin Hbf)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_U-Bahn (yellow / orange)

Munich

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_S-Bahn (red - but note that nearly all regional trains of DB are red)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_U-Bahn (blue+white / blue+silver)

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
497 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from Munich to Berlin-Mitte area - confusion

Thank you for explaining. Here's my last question. Just purchased a first class ticket for 39.90 euro. Probably could have done without first class but I did it just because I had read that sometimes less people in there and hoping that helps me get off the train and get going to the next platform quicker. But here is my question. I just read the fine print and it says that with this fare, that my ticket is only good for these specific trains mentioned. If I happen to miss the connection, would they be really strict and not let me on the next train? Ok that should wrap up my questions. Thank you ahead of time!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train from Munich to Berlin-Mitte area - confusion

Only the long-distance train is fixed (ICE/IC). You are free to take any (de)feeder train you like (RE, RB, S-Bahn) to get to and from the main stations.

But you cannot take a different long distance train. Miss it and you will need to buy a new ticket at full fare, no exception.

You can use the first class lounge in Munich for some free drinks and snacks. (No free drinks on the train, even in 1st class).

Edited: 17 August 2017, 01:25
Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,361 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: train from Munich to Berlin-Mitte area - confusion

> that my ticket is only good for these specific trains mentioned.

The "train ticket" is actually only the box with the waved background in the upper left of the whole Online-Ticket printout.

You've bought a train ticket from Munich (any station) to Berlin (any station in central Berlin). And your ticket is only bound to the IC train listed behind "Über" between München Hbf and Berlin Hbf. If it comes to traveling to München Hbf and from Berlin Hbf onward you can take any earlier/later regional or S-Bahn train on this day (actually you have time till 10am next day to finish the trip).

> Just purchased a first class ticket for 39.90 euro

Good deal compared to a second class ticket for EUR 29,90.

Seat reservation is included (EUR 4,50 in 2nd class).

And you have access to the DB lounges (free drinks / snacks). Albeit the one at München Hbf won't be open at the time you will depart for Berlin.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
497 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train from Munich to Berlin-Mitte area - confusion

Thanks you two!! Very helpful. And darn on the lounge access at that early hour. Oh well. It happens. :) Ok, whew! Feel much better. Have a great day/night!

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
19,623 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train from Munich to Berlin-Mitte area - confusion

Unless you end up at the extreme end of the platform a long way from any elevator or escalator, it shouldn't even take you five minutes to reach the S-Bahn platform. Just take any escalators or elevator right to the top level. Follow the green S-Bahn signs, And then, as others have said, take any train in your direction (east).

Reply to: train from Munich to Berlin-Mitte area - confusion
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted