We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants at or after midnight - Hackescher Markt

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
N Ireland
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants at or after midnight - Hackescher Markt

I will be arriving at around midnight this evening. I understand that some restaurants in Berlin serve food quite late and was wondering if there any in the Hackescher Markt area which might remain open until about 1 a.m. Am I being too optimistic?

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants at or after midnight - Hackescher Markt

Hi,

restaurants in that area normally close at 1-2am. It depends on which day of the week you arrive. At least the 1 or 2 Doener diners in that area should still be open (try "Shark Doener" on the corner of Hackescher Markt and Rosenthaler Strasse).

N Ireland
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants at or after midnight - Hackescher Markt

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply - much appreciated.

As it happens, I arrived in Hackescher Markt at midnight on Friday and couldn't avail of your recommendation. I had no trouble finding a restaurant open at that time and was able to order a meal at Ossena, an Italian restaurant just north of the railway line in the market square and near the corner with Rosenthaler Strasse. at 12.30.

It was fine, and reasonably priced - main course about 9 Euro.

For the record, about a 100 metres away, on Rosenthaler Strasse, I had a very nice lunch, the following day, in a place called Chinado. It was similarly priced. I also tried Amrit on Oranienburger Strasse, an Indian I had seen recommended somewhere. It was very clean and again reasonably priced, but the food was unimaginative and a bit disappointing.

I hope this helps someone else.

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants at or after midnight - Hackescher Markt

I was in the same area about 10 days ago looking for an evening meal. As I left the station, an attractive young woman in a low cut blouse offered me an opportunity to go to her place "only two minutes away and we can have a good time together".

I politely declined her kind offer.

england
Level Contributor
205 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants at or after midnight - Hackescher Markt

there used to be a really good thai/vietnamese restaurant just across the square (or 'triangle') from the Hackeschermarkt u-bahn station entrance - smart, excellent food, friendly staff and very reasonable prices - isn't it there any more? If in doubt though you can't go wrong with a doner kebab, the doners in Berlin are the best in Europe, if not the world!

Wash. DC
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants at or after midnight - Hackescher Markt

If I'm not mistaken, there is a very popular tapas restaurant right at the spot where Rosenthaler str meets an der Spandauer brucke.

They're DEFINITELY open very late. The Spanish crowd doesn't even show up for dinner before 11:30PM.

I've never been in there, but it's always packed when I wander by late in the evenings.

6. Re: Restaurants at or after midnight - Hackescher Markt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 11:26