We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Berlin Welcome Card to get for 5 full days in 2018

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Which Berlin Welcome Card to get for 5 full days in 2018

I will be arriving in the evening to Tegel airport and will have 5 full days in Berlin then leaving on a morning train. Since I’m arriving late, I don’t think having the Berlin card that day would be beneficial..I could be wrong. Would a five day AB card be enough if I wanted to see museum island and other museum plus go on a few walking tours? Or should I get the 6 day ABC?

6 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,428 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Berlin Welcome Card to get for 5 full days in 2018

1. If arriving late, then just buy the single bus ticket to wherever you plan to go

2. Assuming you are interested in the main museums in the Museum Island, then I would suggest buying the

' Welcome card 72h + Museum Island ' for €44

https:/…prices

3. For the next 2 days, buy the normal 'day ticket' for €7 per day (zone AB), or for the one day, buy zone ABC if you intend to go to Potsdam

https://shop.bvg.de/index.php/group/62

Edited: 19 November 2017, 20:15
London, United...
Level Contributor
20,624 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Berlin Welcome Card to get for 5 full days in 2018

I agree with the above: get the 72-hour Welcome Card Plus Museum Island, day tickets for your remaining two full days, and single tickets for your journeys from the airport on arrival day and to the train station on departure day.

However, that does depend on what other museums beside the five Museum Island museums you want to see - and how many of them. It might be worthwhile to consider the Annual Museum Pass, which covers the five Museum Island museums plus many others not covered by the Welcome Card. The price for the full pass is €50: it will pay for itself in 4-5 visits. There is also a basic pass for €25, with limited admission times at off-peak hours. You'll find the details here: see especially the link to all the museums covered.

smb.museum/en/…annual-tickets.html

You'll need to do the sums, based on your museum-going intentions. If you decide that the Annual Pass is for you, then get it plus the 5-day Welcome Card, which will be worth having if only for the discounts on the walking tours you want to do.

Ayrshire, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Berlin Welcome Card to get for 5 full days in 2018

Hello looking for help also with cards for my first trip to Berlin. Would need a 5 day ticket that covers ABC. however also looking to do checkpoint Charlie, TV tower, city bus, Brandenburg gate, Berlin cathedral, Berlin zoo, French cathedral, museum island etc.

Probably being very optimistic and won't be able to fit it all in but thats what I would like to see. So would I be cheaper buying a different crd rather than the 5 day ABC welcome card?

Thanks in advance really not sure what is my best & cheapest option in the long run.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,624 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Berlin Welcome Card to get for 5 full days in 2018

Have you investigated the Welcome Card, which gives you full use of the transport network plus discounts on some 200 sights and attractions? The TV Tower, the Dom, and the Zoo are among the discounts, so it would almost certainly be worthwhile for you.

https:/…berlin-welcome-card

If you intend to visit all five Museum Island museums, you should also investigate the 3-day Museum Pass, which gives free entry to all of them and many others, and, possibly, the 72-hour Welcome Card plus Museum Island (but see below).

https:/…museum-pass-berlin

Also, if you are going to be in Berlin for five full days, the 5-day Welcome Card probably is a good choice - but it depends partly on your arrival and departure times. If you are arriving late and/or leaving early, it might be more economical to buy single tickets for your airport journeys and a shorter Welcome Card - the 72-hour plus Museum Island option, or the 4-day option.

I know it's confusing with all the options on offer. I hope this is a help, but you need to do the sums and base your decision on what you expect to be doing in Berlin, and on your arrival and departure times.

Edited: 07 January 2018, 12:40
Ayrshire, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Berlin Welcome Card to get for 5 full days in 2018

Thanks very much for your help! I really appreciate it!

I arrive at 1pm so will probably want to check in then start doing thing right away. Need to be at the airport for 11am when leaving.

The welcome card 5 days ABC zones was the card I was going to get. But I noticed you don’t get free entry to any places like the Berlin pass (although it is quite a lot more expensive). Just wasn’t sure if it would be worth my while.

Am I right in saying river crises aren’t on in March? Do you know if everything else will be open or do they close attractions?

Thanks for your help

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,624 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Berlin Welcome Card to get for 5 full days in 2018

The Berlin Pass is a well-known rip-off. I've not heard anyone, in several years on this forum, that it is good value.

If you need to be at the airport at 11 am you may only need a single ticket, in which case the 4-day Welcome Card would suffice.

Based on what you've said about your plans, the Welcome Card is likely to save you a few euros. Apart from what I've already told you, there are discounts on boat trips and walking tours.

Some boat trips are available in March - you'll get (at least( a 25% discount with the Welcome Card.

https://reederei-riedel.de/en/#

I can't think of anything that will be closed in March.

Edited: 07 January 2018, 16:11
Reply to: Which Berlin Welcome Card to get for 5 full days in 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted