We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fitting in Fashion-wise in Berlin and Munich

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lowell...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Fitting in Fashion-wise in Berlin and Munich

I live close to Boston, MA where the typical tourist uniform is jeans and sneakers. When I was in London, I felt incredibly underdressed -even while walking through the hotel loby during the day! What should I wear to fit in in Berlin? Is Munich any different?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
201 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fitting in Fashion-wise in Berlin and Munich

Inhabitants of Berlin and Munich are by far not as fashion and style-aware as people in London are. In Berlin, it doesn't matter what you are wearing since Berliners are not fashion-aware at all. In Munich people are a little bit more style and trend-conscious; still, you definitely won't feel uncomfortable in your tourist uniform since the majority is wearing jeans and sneakers here as well.

New York
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fitting in Fashion-wise in Berlin and Munich

Amyper,

I agree with the last post about Berlin.

I have always avoided wearing sneakers while walking around in Europe.I am a gout suferer, and because of a couple of recent attacks I decided I was better off wearing my sneakers while walking in Berlin. Because I was wearing them I was really paying attention to what others were wearing. I noticed many locals dressed in jeans and sneakers.

Lowell...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fitting in Fashion-wise in Berlin and Munich

Thanks for the input. It is really appreciated. I was surprised to see that people in Munich would tend to be the more fashion conscious of the two cities!

If people wear sneakers, are the white type that scream AMERICAN??

New York
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fitting in Fashion-wise in Berlin and Munich

Funny, I almost added to my post about not wearing white sneakers. however I mentioned that once in another forum and people got a little twisted over it.

I generally wear Nike running shoes( not white) and I felt very comfortable (not out of place) wearing them around Berlin.

I used to go by the Europeans don't walk around in sneakers rule.

However, i've noticed more and more (even in Rome last year) that younger people wear colored sneakers and running shoes alot.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fitting in Fashion-wise in Berlin and Munich

As mentioned before Munich is the city where people are a bit more fashionable. Berlin is pretty relaxed and basically you can wear whatever you want to wear. You'll see people who are really dressep up as well as people who just wear jeans, sneackers and a t-shirt.

6. Re: Fitting in Fashion-wise in Berlin and Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 17:16