We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Time

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving Time

Travelling to Germany May 20 -28th. Staying in Hamburg 1st 2 days, driving to Lubeck 1 night, hoping to drive to Berlin for 2 nights, then back to Hamburg, onto London for 1 night, then home.

As we only have 8 days, we are tight for time. Considering renting a car for the Lubeck - Berlin back to Hamburg portion. 4 days car rental. Is it cheaper to book car rental on-line or in person?

Any information on driving times (at a reasonable speed) and any scenic routes that may be of interest - or is there just not enough time for what we're hoping to accomplish??

Any information would help. Thanks.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,559 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Time

Guess it is to late, but I would recommend

flying with Ryanair London-Stansted to Lübeck

train to Hamburg

train to Berlin

flying with EasyJet/Air Berlin from Berlin to London

This way you would reduce the travelling between the places and thus have more time for these destinations.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Time

It's doable but I personally prefer not to rush around and spend more time in one place even if that means leaving out another place. I would just stay in Hamburg and Lübeck and visit things in and around there.

According to the route planer www.map24.de it would take you about 3 hours by car from Berlin to Hamburg. From Lübeck to Berlin it would be around 3 1/2 hours. I guess it would take you even a bit longer depending on traffic. Train might be an alternative, you could check out the train site www.bahn.de and click on Internat. Guests.

If you want to do this trip then I would skip on scenic places inbetween and concentrate on Berlin, Lübeck and Hamburg.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Time

Thank you everyone for your advice! Everything is being left to the very last minute. The only thing booked so far is the flight from Toronto to Hamburg, via London and return.

Oh and I finally booked our first 2 nights hotel in Hamburg.

Here's the itinerary broken down..(again)...and yes it does seem abit busy, but hopefully it will work out. It seems the trains are quite expensive...did look into the bus from hamburg to berlin, price is more reasonable.

Monday - Hamburg

Tuesday - Hamburg

Wednesday - Lubeck

Thursday - Berlin

Friday - Berlin

Saturday - Hamburg

Sunday - to London

Monday - Home

any other tips or advice would be appreciated!

thanks again.

4. Re: Driving Time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 05:26