We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Understanding the "Speisekarte"

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Understanding the "Speisekarte"

I am planning to eat breakfast in Cafes everyday since my Hotel doesn't offer it in the room rate.

It would be nice to know the terms of the different kinds of "kaffee und andere sache" ( pardon my german!) you can order.

Thanks for your time.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Understanding the "Speisekarte"

They will speak english in most cafes, you won't have any problems

If you want special things take this link and look for her german word :

http://www.italdict.de/exec

Germany
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Understanding the "Speisekarte"

Germans use italian expressions for many different kinds of coffee like Cappuccino, Espresso, Latte Macchiato...

So there is one problem less for you.

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Understanding the "Speisekarte"

When you check in at your hotel, be sure and ask the clerk for a specific cafe recommendation. I've found most hotel staff are very helpful and enjoy helping their guests get the most out of their stay.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Understanding the "Speisekarte"

Don't worry ... especially in the city centre most of the people in the cafes speak at least a bit of English so you could always ask if you don't understand everything. Some places might even offer an English menu.

As for coffee it is quite international by now. A lot of cafes offer set breakfast like an English one. Check out the website of a cafe in Kreuzberg ... they also have an English site. Similiar breakfast menues are offer in other cafes as well. http://www.hannibal-berlin.de/de/index.html