We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kafer Restaurant at Reichstag -- worth it?

Gulf Breeze, Florida
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Kafer Restaurant at Reichstag -- worth it?

We will be in Berlin for less than 8 hours as part of a sightseeing tour. Is eating at Kafer worth it.....I understand that the views are terrific but is the food and service excellent? We have so little time in Berlin so I wouldn't want to spend more time than needed for lunch. Any thoughts on how inexpensively or expensively one could eat there.....we will have a small but mixed group so everyone's budget may not be the same. Also is the food German or Berlin cuisine? and do all tables have a great view??

Does anyone have a link for their menu in English?

thank you so much

LF

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,375 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kafer Restaurant at Reichstag -- worth it?

If only 8 hours in Berlin, I wouldn't spend it in Käfer though that would get you up to the dome level with no queuing as a plus. Restaurant is quite small, but best views wd be from tables on the outside. Much better views from the Dome itself.

I think menu on website is only in German. Mains 15-20€ at lunchtime as I remember. It's pricy by Berlin standards but probably not compared with other capitals and esp. considering the surroundings which are really something.

Not sure how fast service is for a small mixed group. I was with a 14-person group and we'd pre-ordered main courses and it still wasn't speedy but they knew we were on a reunion lunch so maybe that played a part too (we didn't want to rush). It was a university reunion (7 of us did German together, a long time ago, and were accompanied by 7 family members) and it was a wonderful setting and was a highlight of our trip.

However we were all in Berlin for several days and the big thing about the Reichstag meal was that it was the only point at which we were all together . We almost certainly ate better at other places during the trip and certainly a lot cheaper (eg 10 of us ate on the last evening at Orange near Neue Synagogue: great food at half the price) .

As a group at Käfers we had a choice of 2 mains : pollock (a white fish) or veal, preceded by a salad. 28€ for that plus the drinks brought it up to 40€ a head. Breakfast is 22.50€ all-in and might be a better option depending on your timings. Cuisine I wd describe as German nouvelle cuisine. Nothing typically Berliner anyway.

Gulf Breeze, Florida
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kafer Restaurant at Reichstag -- worth it?

Lynda, thank you for your very thoughtful reply. I requested a menu from the restaurant and today received one for May....it sounds like they change the menus because she gave me a website to later look for the menu for July.

I think I would like to make this work if we can since everyone says the view from the top is absolutely wonderful and I don't see us spending hours in line to see it.

LF

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kafer Restaurant at Reichstag -- worth it?

The view from the Fernsehturm (Telekom Tower) on Alexanderplatz is much more breathtaking than from Reichstag (which is ok). Käfer restaurants are a chain in Germany. I occassionally eat at the ones at Frankfurt and Munich airport. The food is ok, good, nothing to complain about at all. But also it's nothing really spectacular. So if you're doing it just in order to sit, relax and watch what's going on you could probably go there. I like to spend some time at the Starbucks just across from the Adlon on Pariser Suqare, where you can watch the Brandenburg gate and all the people strolling around.

So nothing wrong with Käfers.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,375 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kafer Restaurant at Reichstag -- worth it?

Käfers featured as best caterer in a government sponsored volume "Best of Germany" publ. for World Cup last year so obviously well thought-of.

I love all viewpoints incl at Potsdamer Platz from Panoramapunkt (Kohlhoff Tower). From Reichstag you have the silhouettes of domes and towers on the horizon; TV Tower you get aerial view so very different. That's fascinating to repeat to see Alexanderplatz area being redeveloped (I've been May 1999, May 2005 and Sept 2006)

There can be queues at TV Tower too (least likely at Panoramapunkt.)

Gulf Breeze, Florida
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kafer Restaurant at Reichstag -- worth it?

are you able to avoid lines at the TV station tower with reservations at the restaurant or better yet at the bar?

thanks

Lynne

Glasgow Scotland
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kafer Restaurant at Reichstag -- worth it?

I have just returned from 3 days in Berlin and eating at the restauant in the Reichstag was one of the highlights for me.

They make you feel special whether you are buying a coffee or a full meal.

We had lunch there. It is a small menu consisting of two starters, three main courses and a few deserts. There is also an extensive choice of movenpick ice creams.

We each had a main course, a dessert and a couple of drinks each and the bill was 68 euro. Not cheap but the quality is good.

The big advantage is that you book ahead, obtain a reservation number and you beat the line. You enter by a side door and go straight up top the top. I highly recommend it.

Gulf Breeze, Florida
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kafer Restaurant at Reichstag -- worth it?

thank you all so much for your replies. We are definitely going to do the Kafer whether it be for breakfast or lunch. Your input has been invaluable in steering me in the direction that I am confident will be memorable for us.

LF

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kafer Restaurant at Reichstag -- worth it?

My boyfriend and his family have been there a couple of years ago and didn't really like the food. It was o.k. but it being Käfer they expected more.

Anyway, having a reservation there allows you to go up the glas dome without queing which might be interesting for you as you only have a few hours in Berlin.

I haven't been up there but my boyfriend said it's worth seeing. A better view of the city you might have from the TV Tower or the Panorama Point (Viewing platform) on Potsdamer Platz 1. There is often a long queue at the TV Tower while on Potsdamer Platz you hardly need to wait.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,375 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kafer Restaurant at Reichstag -- worth it?

The views are great and the dome itself is really spectacular. I've been several times over the last 2 years and it never palls. Take binoculars, or if you've got a good zoom on your camers that also adds to it.

Berlin Gal you have to go!!

Gulf Breeze, Florida
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kafer Restaurant at Reichstag -- worth it?

Thank you Berlingal for your comments....much appreciated. Lynda, I hope you received my email to your request.....let me know...I would definitely like to see photos.

Lynne

ps Lynda, I will also be in your beautiful Barcelona in September