We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap accomodations

Italy
Level Contributor
829 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
cheap accomodations

Hi,

are there in Berling facilities like universiity halls (empty in summer) or religious lodgings/convents?

I'm searching for affordable accomodations but I'm allergic to hostels, either for matters for cleanliness/safety/silence...

Danke!

berlin
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheap accomodations

How about the following ideas:

- couchsurfing http://www.couchsurfing.com/

- B&B or holiday rental

berlin
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheap accomodations

One more thing: "allergic to hostels, either for matters for cleanliness/safety/silence"

I dont think that dorms, even if there are any availabe (I could only think about this: studentenwerk-berlin.de/en/… which is for students, not for "any" visitor) will be cleaner or more silent than hostels/motels. It really depends WHICH hostel or motel, and then, you might want to ask about clean and safe hostels.

What is your budget?

Italy
Level Contributor
829 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheap accomodations

cleanliness: I do not share WC/shower, I know I'm fastidious

safety: lockers do not inspire me particularly

silence: it's because I'm merciful, I snore :):):):):) seriously hostels are not necessarily the quitest places to sleep

My ideal cheap place would be a single room with private shower/WC for less than 35-40 euro, don't care about breakfast (like in Etaphotels in France).

More and I can go to a good hotel (Berlin is not expensive).

In London they rent out the student accomodations vacated during summer recess.

In Italy you can even find religious lodgings offering single rooms with private shower/WC (+AC!) for less than 35 euro.

I just wanted to know if I could tighten my budget while keeping the above mentioned criteria, don't care for "service" or "luxury", can even be spartan but: with a single room and ensuite WC/shower ;)

Italy
Level Contributor
829 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheap accomodations

by the way, I considered couchsurfing but I feel uneasy to go to somebody else's house (people I don't know, perhaps bad surprises, of course it's reciprocal) and I find irritating that couchsurfing is so intrusive in wanting to know your personal details... nice concept but not exactly my taste

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cheap accomodations

I can't think of any student accomodations as the majority of students lives in flatshares and not in university accomodation.

I guess your best bet is looking for a room in a Pension or a small hotel. You could check out www.hrs.de (they also offer an English site) and find a hotel there. You can put in what you want to pay as a maximum.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheap accomodations

Ciao,

I know, ... you don't like Hostels but I think that the Aurora Hostels offers single rooms with private bathrooms (~40€/night).

http://www.aurora-hostel.com

reviews:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187323-d613…

In bocca al lupo!

Italy
Level Contributor
829 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cheap accomodations

gee, thanks solid8, it looks promising. If t' near a U/S station then it could be a winner!

berlin
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cheap accomodations

I hope you didn't get me the wrong way. I am also weary of sharing bathroom/showers, and not very keen to sleep in hostels. My solution is usually to take a B&B

e.g.,

www.bedandbreakfast.com/…

But also try to Google the term "Ferienwohnung".

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cheap accomodations

Hi,

from the Aurora it's only a walk of maybe 5 minutes (500 metres) to the next subway station ("Eberswalder Str."). There also is a Tram stop just in front of the Hostel....

:-)

London
Level Contributor
892 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cheap accomodations

If you want cheap hotel accommodation, try www.accorhotels.com. The Ibis and Mercure hotels are incredibly good value, particularly if you book on one of their advance booking promotions.

Also, although I've not stayed in one myself, I gather from these forums that many Berlin hostels are of a very high standard - I know where you're at regarding reluctance towards hostels, my only experience is the YHA from hell in Rome which was enough to put me off them for life! Even for me, I have been tempted by some of the Berlin ones though, as they seem a world away from my experience.