We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few hours in berlin-Ideas

Gibraltar
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Few hours in berlin-Ideas

Hello!!

Next week I will be in Berlin for only 1 day and we have only 4 hours to discover the city cause our flight for our other destination leaves at 16.50 o clock. What should we see??except of course from the famous Berlin Wall.

And some souvenirs local that we can buy and local food we must taste??

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few hours in berlin-Ideas

That infamous Berlin Wall got torn down in 1989. And it was just a wall of which I'm sure you must have thousands in Greece yourselves. I'm not sure if looking at a wall is really that exciting. But Anyways, there are very few meters left of it. It's called "East Side Gallery" and is between Ostbahnhof and Warschauer Brücke. But again, you're looking at a wall. Another part of the wall was rebuilt for tourist reasons in Bernauer Strasse.

Seriously if you only have 4 hours hop onto some bus tour. Berlin is a very large city and unlike in other cities not all the sights are right next to each other.

Alternatively you could walk from Potsdamer Platz via Holocaust Memorial and Brandenburg Gate to the Reichstag building an onwards to Angela Merkel's Chancellery, then back to Brandenburg Gate along Unter den Linden to August Bebel Square and the library of Humboldt University. Afterwards you could do some shopping on Friedrichstrasse or better take taxi or Underground to Kurfürstendam and the KaDeWe department store which is only second to Harrod's.

Gibraltar
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Few hours in berlin-Ideas

Hello Andrea.

I dont know if this wall is famous or unfamous but this is the only place I know from berlin.that is why I told you to recommend me other places.

Thanks for your answer anyway.

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Few hours in berlin-Ideas

As I said... Potsdamer Platz, Brandenburg Gate, Holocaust Museum, Reichstag building (climb the cupula) and the shopping street Kurfürstendam incl. KaDeWe department store... That'll cover your day!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Few hours in berlin-Ideas

By the way the wall went from Potsdamer Platz to the Brandenburg Gate and you can still see where it was as they put two lines of cobblestone in the pavement to mark it.

Gibraltar
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Few hours in berlin-Ideas

thank you very much!!!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Few hours in berlin-Ideas

4 hours after you have taken off time to get to and from the airport and check-in time?? Even with taxis each way that's around 40 mins to/from Tegel and an hour to/from Schönefeld.

With 4 hours I wouln't be looking at shops, even KaDeWe!

Nor would I waste time in a queue to go up to Reichstag dome. You can go up the Panoramapunkt at Potsdamer Platz without queuing normally and that's a good view; even better is from TV tower at Alexanderplatz but maybe queue there.

Actually, re the Wall, at Bernauer Strasse there is a part of the Wall which has been repaired (as has the East Side Gallery and it's needed to be repainted again now); that is part of the memorial (reconstruction of death-strip behind) but nearby there are pieces of the Wall in original state (broken, iron showing through).

Bernauer Strasse is a short walk from Nordbahnhof S-Bahn station (Train from Potsdamer Platz or Unter den Linden or Friedrichstrasse). There is an underground station at Bernauer Strasse but the line is being repaired at the moment so there's a bus service from Alexanderplatz, running every 20 mins.

Near Bebelplatz is Gendarmenmarkt square which is really beautiful and to me a definite "must".

Gibraltar
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Few hours in berlin-Ideas

Lynda thank you so much .

As far as the 4 hours plain leaves at 16.50 we will be at the airport at 14.00 and we will wake up from 7.30a.m !!!

Thats why I told 4 hours.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Few hours in berlin-Ideas

As mentioned before ... a bus tour might be a good idea as it gives you a good overview over the city. After that you could look at a few places a bit more in detail.

Your could start at Potsdamer Platz and have a view over the city from the viewing platform at Potsdamer Platz No. 1 where there is hardly a queque. You could walk then from there to the Holocaust Memorial and further to the Brandenburg Gate and Reichstag. From there you could stroll along Unter den Linden and make a little detour to Gendarmenmarkt. If you have still time you could walk to the Berliner Dom and Nikolaiviertel.

9. Re: Few hours in berlin-Ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 19:22