We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 or 3 Berlin First Timers Questions

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lisbon
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 or 3 Berlin First Timers Questions

We'll travel to Berlin in mid-August and definitively stay in a hotel nearby Friedrichstrasse station.

Does anyone know the location of a supermarket and simple places to have breakfast and/or to eat a meal around the station?

We are thinking of doing a day trip by train to Dresden. Is this a worthwhile trip?

We are thinking also to make a boat trip in Berlin. Is it a good idea?

Thank you so much.

berlin
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 or 3 Berlin First Timers Questions

There is a supermarklet in the Friedrichstr station (Edeka).

Nearby:

- the station has many eateries, bakeries

- on the street near the station and just accross from the university there are two nice cafes - one is the Bagel Station (a chain), the other is called Mayerbeer

Dresden . depends on how much time youve got and the chances that you will be back. I wouldnt go to Dresden if youve got only 2-3 days in Berlin, because there too much to see in the city. However, if there is only a slim chance that you will get to the area again, do it.

Boatrides are great , only dont hope for too much explanations in anyx language other than German

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 or 3 Berlin First Timers Questions

At Karl-Liebknecht-Str. (close to Alexanderplatz) is a Kaisers Supermarket.

I don't really like Mitte so much for going out for a breakfast or a meal. Mitte is quite touristy, posh and many places are overpriced compared to other areas of Berlin. Anyway, in and around the Friedrichstraße station you'll find a few bakeries where you can get a sandwich or something for breakfast. Around Hackescher Markt, Oranienburger Str. and Nikolaiviertel you'll find cafes and restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

If you don't mind travelling for a bit for a good breakfast or meal than my advice would be going to Prenzlauer Berg (e.g. Kollwitzplatz, Helmholtzplatz, Kastanienallee), Schöneberg (e.g. Winterfeldplatz, Goltzstr.) or Kreuzberg (e.g. around Bergmannstr.). Berlins public transport system is pretty good and it wont take you long to get there.

A day trip to Dresden is doable, if it is worth just going for a day ... I'm not sure. I personally would stay overnight there.

Doing a boat trip is a nice idea, but only if it is not raining. It is a nice way to see a few sighst while relaxing a bit.

3. Re: 2 or 3 Berlin First Timers Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 08:17