We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

berlin - pubcrawl

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
berlin - pubcrawl

Hi,

Has anyone been on the famous pub crawl!? Or any other good nights out? will be visiting berlin in November, also looking for accomodation close to nightlife if anyone has any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

berlin
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: berlin - pubcrawl

Pub Crawls - leave every night at 8:30 from the Hackescher Markt station:

insiderberlintours.com/insidertour.php/cat/1…

Pub Crawls are hardly my style, as I don't like to binge (you get free shots in many pubs); and Berliners usually complain that they are noisy, a hazard. See:

spiegel.de/international/…00.html

However, I understand why people go there - you don't know the city and you want to have fun. I guess that if that's your intention (to drink senselessly and hopefully wake up the next morning in a foreign bed or with a stranger in yours), these might be your thing. I guess it is also a good price to get lots of free drinks and get to know pubs and people...

Where to sleep close to nightlife:

* Mitte, especially close to Hackescher Markt, Rosenthaler Platz

* Friedrichshain near the Boxhagener Platz, Simon-Dach-Kiez

* Prenzlauer Berg

You can see some recommendations I made regarding hostels in one of the threads on this page. The recommendations for nightlife were also copied from another post, lazy me:

http://www.gablinger.com/nightlife.html and

berlin-tourist-information.de/english/berlin…

UK
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: berlin - pubcrawl

Great thanks for your help!

I've been looking at st. christophers hostel which i've heard good reviews of and the helter skelter hostel but im not sure about this one!?

they'l be about 6-8 of us travelling and possibly looking into going karting - i assume berlin has a go-kart track!?!?

Thanks again

Chris

berlin
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: berlin - pubcrawl

I know St. Christopher but not Helter Skelter so I have no idea which one is better. Both are in a great location. Maybe for carting fans - Helter Skelter because of the name ;-)

Go-Karting

http://www.kart4you.de/

If you like this kind of stuff, also consider the Trabi Safari

Level Contributor
383 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: berlin - pubcrawl

i was thinking about doing a pub crawl in Berlin at the end of September. There will be four of us, all in our 50's. We didn't plan on getting completely trashed, sick, etc. We are staying close to Savigny Platz and just thought it would be fun and interesting to see the nightlife in Mitte. Berlin's nightlife is pretty famous. Not exactly the word I'm looking for, but you get the idea. I wouldn't know or want to take the time to figure out exactly which pubs to go to. I just wanted someone to just take us around. I guess if it gets too raucous and rowdy we'll just leave the group. None of us would drink shot after shot.

And I wouldn't expect it to be a sightseeing tour with historical explanations, just a little fun on our last night. We will have already done all the sightseeing. I did e-mail one of the tourguides and he seemed to think we could fit in. Of course they tell you what they think you want to hear, but I guess we'll see.

Do you think any one of them could be better or less crazy than another?

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: berlin - pubcrawl

Never done any of these pub crawls, only read about it in one of the Berlin city magazines. The people seem to be mostly in their early twenties and are out to have fun … meaning quite of them get quite drunk due to some free shots.

lylou already mentioned the main nightlife areas. You'll find some nice bars and pubs also in Schöneberg (around Winterfeldplatz) and Kreuzberg (e.g. around Bergmannstr.).

To find out what is going on where you could check out the city magazines like Zitty, Tip and ExBerliner. Zitty and Tip are in German while the ExBerliner is in English.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: berlin - pubcrawl

@ CRose10328

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable on these organized pub crawls. I do like to go out and like to have the odd drink but wouldn't like to be around a lot of completely drunk people in their early twenties. BTW, I'm in my late thirties.

I personally think you can go out by yourself and have a good night as well. The pub crawl I read about goes mainly to pubs and bars where hardly the locals go.

Around Savignyplatz you already find some nice bars and restaurants. In Schöneberg (underground station Nollendorfplatz) around Maaßenstr./Winterfeldplatz/Goltzstr. you'll find even more nice bars and restaurants. I hardly go out in Mitte (except the odd club) as I find it too touristy and often overpriced for what is offered. Anyway, the nightlife there is found around Hackescher Markt and Oranienburger str. Other nightlife areas are Prenzlauer Berg (around Kastanienallee, Helmholtzsplatz and Kollwitzplatz), Friedrichshain (around Simon-Dach-Str.) and Kreuzberg (around Bergmannstr.)

berlin
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: berlin - pubcrawl

@ CRose10328

I am with Berlingal here, and don't think that the pubcrawl is the thing for you, unless you're the type of 50 year olds who like to hang out with college kids. This, however, might be more appropriate:

insiderberlintours.com/insidertour.php/cat/4…

Perhaps also renting a private tour guide who'd show you around (perhaps with several other like-minded adults?) is also a good idea.

Level Contributor
383 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: berlin - pubcrawl

Well, I do like to hang out with college kids as I have two of them :) and I occasionally have participated in their drinking games, but I could never keep up and don't really want that anyway. I was just hoping to see some of the nightlife without more planning.

You've pretty much talked me out of the pub crawl though. I thought it sounded fun but maybe just to hit a couple of pubs or clubs. I'm sure we'll spend a couple of evenings just around Savignyplatz, but I'd like to go somewhere else one night. So do you think the area around Hackescher Markt would be a place that would be interesting? I don't want to get into an area I'd feel uncomfortable in at night and I would like easy access, meaning not 3 or 4 changes in public transportation, to get back to Savignyplatz. Any ideas?

Thanks for your wisdom in keeping a 50 something from making a fool of herself :)

Cindy

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: berlin - pubcrawl

@ Cindy

I personally don't like the area around Hackescher Markt that much. It's nice in a way but very touristy. My advice would be to spend one evening around Savignyplatz, another evening around Winterfeldplatz (from Zoo station, which is in walking distance of Savignyplatz, its only two stops on the underground line U2) and another night in Prenzlauer Berg. Prenzlauer Berg might be not as close as Hackescher Markt but is easily reached by public transport. From Zoo you can also take the U2 towards Pankow and get off at Eberswalderstr. From there it's a short walk to Helmholtzsplatz, Kollwitzplatz and Kastanienalle.

Level Contributor
383 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: berlin - pubcrawl

Thanks for your suggestions. I have heard that Prenzlauer Berg is an interesting area. I think we might go there our last night. I want to take a boat ride on the river one night, one night I will be just relaxing before the marathon, the first night we'll probably be jetlagged. A night at Savignyplatz and one at Prenzlauer Berg will probably do it.

I can't wait. We're leaving on September 27th. Won't be long now.